PDA

View Full Version : boxlift critique please!

theflatlander
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Ive animated this character lifting a box, but now Ive come to the point where Im not sure how to imrove it much more...I just cant see it haha! so please give me some critiques and tell me what could be better and changed!

http://media.putfile.com/boxlift

cheers!/jimmy

sgiuoco2
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey Jimmy,

Looks pretty good. There are just a few areas that I notice where it could be pushed a bit further.

When the body goes from Right to left as he is checking his hands looks great. My comment on that is to fix the wrist screen left. It is very visible and people's eyes are looking at it. The bend is a bit unatural. I'm guessing you are using IK to hold the hand in place but don't forget to rotate those wrists because the bend just looks unatural.

When he is unfolding his hand from body to rest beside, it is a bit slow. I would speed that up about 8 frames and have it slow out to a settle. You can even add some secondary action with the fingers as it rests to show more character. Watch your arcs in the hands as well, when it is coming down to his side.

During the pickup you are getting a little elbow pop. I would key each frame in that area so that wouldn't happen. I'm sure it is because of the IK.

Also for more character during the pickup, maybe drop one shoulder a bit more raise the other. That might help with the elbow pop as well.

Lastly, I'm not sure if your rig has animated shoulder capabilities but if you really want to sell weight then you need to drop his shoulders down as he is lifting and raise the chin up in the air more. Watch some weight lifting vidz from the internet and you will see what I mean.

On a side note, you should put on a frame counter so people can critiqe easier. Example: fix screen right hand on frame 72.

Great stuff. The model looks like it came straight out of Robots. I hope my long critiqe helps.

Sky
12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
sgiuoco2 gave a great critique and covered pretty much everything I could think of. Besides the noticable popping on the elbow and the strange angle on the hand, I think you have a pretty good animation here. You did a good job of making the box actually feel heavy. Nicely done and keep on posting. Your a good animator.

-Sky

theflatlander
12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
wow, thanks alot guys! I really respect you for taking time to watch the video! and I will have a look at it straight away and think about what you wrote!

Amit_S
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Cool!:thumbsup:

Ok - before u read this - just let me tell u that I'm a newbie in breathing life in objects. So read this with a pinch of salt and ignore it if it doesnt feel right.

As far as the actual lifting is concerned- its in 2 parts:
1.He has both his hands on the handles. He is in a squatting position.
Now he leans backs while in the low squatting position- and the box comes off the ground.
Not the entire box but only one side. Now this is done nice and slow and looking at it one feels like the box is heavy.
2.After the above thing- he stands up and lifts the entire box.
When I look at only this part it feels like the box is not-so-heavy.
Maybe you can slow down this part? I feel that if u do slow it down then it'll look much better.

Right now its like when he tilts the box towards himself its heavy. But when he stands up with it- its really not so heavy.

Look at Powerlifters when they are deadlifting. When they are going in for maximum weight they'll squeeze the bar of the ground, and slowly stand up with it.
If they are just doing a warm up/ using light weights- then the speed of the bar is faster throughout the lift. During the initial part when the bar is squeezed off the ground and then the actual lifting.
Look for deadlift videos or better yet videos of Atlas Stones being lifted.

Go to:

http://www.joeskopec.com/biglifts.html

Look at the last video called ANDY BOLTON 933LB DEADLIFT.

ATLAS STONES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDsio1cu5MI&mode=related&search=

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.