PDA

View Full Version : Sadistic ya bud I'm talking to you:)

modeling-man
02-14-2003, 01:15 AM
Hey Sadistic.
Ya you man.
How do you model the male chest and shoulders SO good?
Could you give us a tutorial...or some orthographic wireframes?
I usually model with cylinder and lofts.
I noticed your other post about the shoulders and have had my eyes glued to the wireframes but that are taken at a 3/4 view.
any help would be great.
Thanks man
B

sadistic
02-14-2003, 04:45 AM
eeeee, my name in a title, I feel special :D
Hey man, are you gonna give this game comp a go?

I made an update to the broken shoulder thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42748) with a few other pics under deformation, and heres another just from front and back under default pose. (the orange dot is roughly where the lower arm edge stops)

Pretty much all my characters are built from primitive cylinder shapes for the limbs, torso, and head, with extra detail/topology cut in later.
The gargoyle shoulder topology is based off Bay Raitt's edge loops (http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/tutorial/muscle_loop.html) and alot of the subd models in general. I started building the chest and shoulder muscles like subd quad cages, and then optimised them back where necessary as triangles don't effect the key deformation area.

The only tips that come to mind atm are:
* Get your armpit 'socket' relatively matching the arm before you connect, as you wanna keep this area as clean as possible.
* Make sure your top arm segment of edges is turned correctly so that when you 'twist' the shoulder joint, the edges keep form and don't tear the wrong way.
* The clavical bone is essential for keeping the form right when the arm is raised.
* Having the chest muscle flow into the shoulders is important to keep raised arm movement believable.

Anyways, I'll post more detail on shoulders and butts when I start this model next week.. just gotta think of a kinky license chick hehe.
catch ya!

modeling-man
02-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Hehe I knew that'd get your attention:)
Thanks again for the shots of the arm.
I'm working on a model in Maya so its going a bit slower than if I was in Max. I luckily picked up a RAD target weld script so things are flying now.
I'll try to find the post again its in the Maya section, some guy just WROTE me a script when I asked if there was one...how cool is that.
Anyways, I do plan on entering this contest....not sure what franchise I'll pick...something different for sure I'm betting there will be plenty of Spidermans, Batmans and the like:P In the meantime I gotta get this model done.
B

sadistic
02-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Hehe, yeah I usually keep the game forum open during work... I love the distraction, and strangely enough I'm building a shoulder right now!

How's learning maya going? I gotta get back into that soon, haven't touched it in years. And max does all the low poly stuff I need at this point so whos complaining.

You just gotta watch those scripting 'artists'... you never know when they'll go to the dark side of programming or something :D

So far I'm thinking heather graham from lost in space in that funky suit.. but her character was a little boring, gonna need to think up some more on the weekend... like tank girl hehe

modeling-man
02-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Maya ain't bad at all. I am a true to heart max guy just cause I learned on it first. Maya ain't bad though...all the jobs over here on the west coast demand Maya, and most recruiters are too retarded to realize that if you know one modeling prog it takes less than a week to figure out the others. Hence the reason for me to sit down and bang out a couple models with Maya, and prove I know it. I mean I'd rather have a job doing Max but over here its like no one even knows what Max is, its kinda weird.

Oh well back to modeling.:)
B

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.