PDA

View Full Version : !!!Dumb Question Alert!!!Splines,patch now or....?

wgreenlee1
02-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Ok,I dont use splines that much and I'm trying to improve what little I know about them to help my work flow here.

When you're "spline'n", do you patch as you go and hide or spline then patch later?
I'm splining now and plan to patch later but I'm wondering if there's an catch to this......

Just wonderin'.........:wip:

draconix
02-14-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm also just getting into splines. I've been working on the splines first then patching but i recently experimented with the "patching as you go" method. So far I prefer the first method but I can see where the second could be more useful.

I'm rather interested in the other answers.

EDIT: Found these, might find them useful -

CGFocus (http://www.cgfocus.com/tutorials.cfm?StartRow=11)

Marquis
02-14-2003, 01:08 AM
I use splines a lot! They are extremely usefull for all types of modelling, especially organics.
As a rule I never patch splines until I have my cage finished simply because I may need to add or remove points or certian splines as I make the cage.......just to get the flow correct.
The beauty of splines is you can put polys exactly where you want them. Splines, to me, are far more efficient for some regions of the body, like the head, than striaght up box modelling. You can get the general shape worked quickly and more efficiently than box tweaking.

Good Luck

Rabid pitbull
02-14-2003, 01:17 AM
i really like using lw splines! the only thing is sometimes they are unpredicatble for beginers, so do some small basic characters till you understand the unwritten rules....

they are powerful, but there is a strange learning curve unlike anything else lw. check out splinegods tutorial for help. i actually learned splines after reading a awesome article in issue 26 keyframe. of course Larry was the author... :thumbsup:

wgreenlee1
02-14-2003, 01:31 AM
Ok,thanks guys!

Joril
02-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Splines come in hand when you're drawing your edgeloops in 3d and afterwards patch them with little subdevision, and then subpatching the mesh - and tweaking them in low poly.

btw, I thought it was possible to keep patches and splines apart in layers.
But you have to have both layers active (one empty and one with the spline cage).
The spline layer should be one layer behind the layer where the mesh will come.
example empty active layer one, splinescage to be patched on active layer 2.

I actually made the orc in my avatar this way a long long time ago.

Have fun!

faulknermano
02-14-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Marquis
I use splines a lot! They are extremely usefull for all types of modelling, especially organics.
As a rule I never patch splines until I have my cage finished simply because I may need to add or remove points or certian splines as I make the cage

i use to do it that way too. but i figured i was getting hemmed in. i come from the point-by-point method so i shouldnt be afraid to tweak. hehehe. anyway, as long as i have a more or less good cage i starts patching it by threes and / or fours. i can always edit the polys later.

SplineGod
02-14-2003, 07:07 AM
The great thing about using splines in lightwave is that in many ways they are more flexible then ppl think. You can simply build the whole cage and then patch. You can also spline and patch as you go. You can also build a very simple cage, patch it, kill some polys in some areas, pick points and make new splines and patch those. The great thing is that you can simply pick points of existing geometry, make splines and create a new patch.
You can use this techniques to fix places on a mesh that are screwed up and hard to tweak. Kill the polys in the bad area, pick points around the hole, make splines, patch em and voila! no screwy/lumpy polys. There are also some interesting ways to change resolution from a high poly area to lower poly areas with splines. Splines are your friend. Splines follow very simple rules, which are in that keyframe article.

Tudor
02-14-2003, 07:52 AM
but the patch will not deform if I change the spline..
That is the only downer about it..
If that would change, I would use patches all the time.

SplineGod
02-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Tudor
but the patch will not deform if I change the spline..
That is the only downer about it..
If that would change, I would use patches all the time.
That isnt really a downer for me. The reason why is that the way lightwaves splines work I can use a lot less splines if I manually patch (which I do). That gives me far more control then using an autopatcher. Also to autopatch properly, the spline cage cannot have any free floating control points the way that I can when patching manually. This means that the spline cages end up being way too dense for my taste. Manually patching a simpler spline cage is fast and easy. Steve Hurley has a nice little lscript that makes manually patching much faster.

Merlin
02-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Splines are great, I do a sort of combo of the methods. working basically in chunks, make a cage for the head, patch it , then do a cage for the torso, patch it, and make sure all my patches are blending together correctly, and then move to an arm, etc. I keep the actual patches in a seperate layer from the splines, to keep things clean. Splines are a great way to model, can't say that enough.

Neal

SplineGod
02-14-2003, 08:55 PM
I sometimes do that too. I dont like to have the number of polys in one section force me to use the same number somewhere else.
Ill make the head separate from the torso and if the polys dont match its no big deal. There are easy technques to get the two to connect seamlessly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.