PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my subdivision

Pixelmech
12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Finishing up this modeling tute. I modeled this handle, and the last part is to subdivide it. As you can see by the attached JPG, mine doesn't look nearly as smooth as the manuals after subdivision.

Did they smooth it or something and fail to mention it? Or am I doing something wrong. Adding to the poly count doesn't smooth it any more (nor would I expect it to) but somehow I do not have the result they have.

Bullit
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Well the objects are very diferent and you seem to not subdivided it. click + in numpad the times you think is ok.

comanche
12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Did you press the "+" key on the num pad to increase subdivision? Your object doesn't seem to be subdivided at all ...

Andreas

Pixelmech
12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Ok, what I did was Modify > Poly. Mesh > Subdivide Polygons/Edges. I thought that was the same thing as subdivision (and seeing as how they both say subdivide in them...)

I went back in and pressed the + and now I see it happen. The first one is how many polys, but I'm still not clear on what is happening when you "subdivide" (press +)...

JDex
12-06-2006, 05:51 PM
The "+" "-" is adjusting the Geometry Approximation setting for the object select. XSI allows you to non-destructively subdivide for the renderer and the viewport independantly. In the explorer look for the Geometry Approximation item and view it's various tabs of properties.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 05:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.