PDA

View Full Version : Info on shelf button for patch modeling.

Hahn
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm looking to speed up the process up patch modeling. To the level of being able to have it select certain surfaces. Could I either a. Make a button to change each surface to pre-made naming system. Then I could use another button that takes those pre-made nurbs naming system and do the actions for them. Even selecting the end isoparms and everything. Or B. Could i use variables in a similar fashion to speed up that work flow.

I am a student and have not even had a class on MEL yet. So this is not based so much on my bare basic knowledge of mel but my imagination. If i'm going about it the wrong way could someone point me in a better direction?

Thank you for your time,

Matt.

wdavidlewis
12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I tend to use both methods. If I'm just doing a simple one-off (like selecting a bunch of controls and setting a key), I'll just select the controls set the key and then grab the code from the script editor and make it a shelf button. It's quick to do and fast.

Once I understand my workflow and the things I want to do, I'll start writing scripts that are driven by the selection rather than fixed names. In your case, you'd select the patches and then execute your script (probably tied to a shelf button) that does the task on the selected patches.

I usually don't do the scripts until I've done something once or twice an understand my workflow.

--- David

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.