PDA

View Full Version : Creating the best transparent materials

faultymoose
12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm just wondering how Maya (software and MR) prefers you to create transparent objects - for example, a glass bottle - in regards to modelling the transitional surfaces.

In my old lightwave days, the most realistic result was obtained by modelling the entire outer contour of the object, single sided, normals facing out, with an appropriate IOR for the material (1.5ish for glass), and then duplicating and offsetting that mesh slightly so that it just sits inside the glass mesh, flipping the normals so they face inwards, and giving it an IOR for air (about 1.03 as I vaguely recall).

It's been a while, but I've been called upon to reproduce some realistic glass effects in maya, and I'm wondering if maya also works best in this way? Early tests have given me some odd artifacting as though the mesh is occupying the exact same space, even though it isn't (weird banding and whatnot).

Any advice?

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.