PDA

View Full Version : What should be in an environment / prop artist portfolio?

psychojohno
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey! Hope you can help me out! I am starting to build a portfolio and i would like to know what sort of things i should have in there! I have almost completed my first scene (the prison cell http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=428224) and want to start something new soon so what do people like to see :D

Also should i have high poly models in there to show i can model complex things or should i just go for models that show i have knowledge of limitations etc for games?

If you have any tutorials on putting together a portfolio or could post yours that would also be cool!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

broli4000
12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Its just my opinion, but from the research that I've done...

It looks that you should have some high poly stuff, some lower poly stuff, some seperate props for levels, then put them into some levels. Do a wide array of stuff and any game developer should be pleased with it. You want to look well rounded.

Again, just my 2 cents

JustChris
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
You might also want to cover many themes in your environments. Don't get too bogged down in making only sci-fi or only dirty, realistic stuff. It might work in a demo reel when you're aiming to work for a company that does very specific types of games, but it's always good to see flexibility in your artistic skill.

itsallgoode9
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I think one good thing to show would be an ability to use a limited amount of textures and have a consistent texel scale throughout along with the ability to use those textures very creavtively.

It seems like a common texel scale for projects I have done, and tests I have worked on was one 512 map = 10 feet, so that might be a good starting point. Also one thing that is important in games is making good use of the limited textures you have.

As an environment artist you may get stuck having to make a large building that uses only 5 or 10 textures, so you really need to know how to make good tilable textures that can be used for multiple things. Also, you must know how to creatively layout your UVs to really make use of the texture and create and interesting building.

If you haven't had game experience before, I think these things can make you standout a little bit from the other artist iwho haven't kept some of these basic prinicples in mind.

tofugorilla
12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Build some props with LODs. Show you can build an enviroment baised on a top down blueprint. Keep everyting at the correct scale (eg, doors should all be the same height, hallways should be the same width in the same building, stairs should acomidate the player model who will be using the enviroment, etc...). Make a website (I just buy a template so I don't have to spend an extra day designing a site)

Make it look good :)

Thats about it. The last one is super important.

-T

www.sneakmedia.com (http://www.sneakmedia.com)

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.