PDA

View Full Version : walk cycle need a crit plz!

blurgh
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,
been working on a walk cycle, its only really legs and body, ive playblasted afew angles. Please any crits or advice will be very appreciated :D

thanks in advance guys !

back view (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkback.avi)
front view (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkfront.avi)
side view (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkside.avi)
persp view (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkpersp.avi)

-Darken

Shortndeadly
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Darken

Looks alright so far, in my opinion there should be a little bit more weight shifting (to the sides) whenever your character lifts its legs.

Subsequently, the top bit of your character's body would shift towards the opposite direction to counterbalance the original weightshift. Right now it feels like they (lower body, COG, upperbody) are all moving in the same accord, I believe it would look much better if you increase the overlapping between those three.

dragonlair81
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
i think it looking good. you might want to try is to translate him side to side on the down position. I would also rotate the hip some. foward when the leg is foward and down when the leg is passing. You're on to a good start

blurgh
12-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Ok thanks for the advice guys, ill give that a try :) ill post an update soon

cheers

-Darken

blurgh
12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey guys,

Ive had a go at doing what you suggest.
Ive added some more weight shift and rotation in the hips.
Ive also offset the hips and the body sqaush and stretch by a frame or two

Unfortunatly I couldnt get the upper body to counteract the weight shifting much, the rig just doesnt have the control (as far as i know to do it).

Hope you guys like it
Front (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkfront3.avi)
Side (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkside3.avi)
Back (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkback3.avi)
Persp (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkpersp3.avi)

Amit_S
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Cool man.
It looks like hes going out for a brisk walk.
But why only the lower body? About the side-to-side wt shift- I think you'll find it easier if you use a biped.

Hope this doesnt sound like me hijacking your thread- I too have started animation. Just did a walk cycle. Can you plz check it out..?

Banks
12-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Darken,

Its looking pretty good so far. I especially like the subtle squash and stretch. That really makes it pop. My only crit is that his rear/trailing foot seems to have a very slight pause in translation just before he steps forward again. On a treadmill this would be impossible. I see two ways of solving this problem. The first being to take out the pause all together and have him step forward just a bit quicker; or you could leave the pause there and just pull his foot back slightly mimicking the natural motion of a treadmill. Keep up the good work.

Amit_S
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey again Darken-R

U know what? i've been trying to animate walk cycles too. But am getting confused cause of the head placement, hands etc.

Smart of u to start with this rig.

Could you tell me where u got this rig from?

blurgh
12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,
sorry i could reply sooner no internet! its like going cold turkey!

banks,
I see what you mena man I hadnt noticed it before .... hmm i might try encorparating that treadmill movement in it :/... good spotting!

Hey Amit, you thread hi-jacker! lol yeah i call my self an animator and do anywhere near enough, so i decided to go back to basics, this models good as it allows a bit of squash and stretch fun and you can get your head round the legs (which i always find hardest) I forget wheree I got it from, I think its called 'mikey' rig. google search it youll probably find it ( its just a rip off of the AM one). When Im happy with the walk cycle I plan to transition it into a run cycle ... which should prove a little challenging..

Amit_S
12-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey Darken-R
about this rig- I found one called Moom- kind of based on the AM rig. Its a biped but you can hide any part you want. You might want to check it out urself.

So u r an animator, eh?
cool1
just 1 question: why do u make it walk in the same step? I didnt do it cause I read in the Survival Kit that its better to avoid it. Do u feel animating a walk cycle in 1 place helps u learn better?
Hoping to see that run cycle.

blurgh
12-10-2006, 11:33 AM
well the whole walk cycle is mainly used in game animations. They use a looping cycle where the character walks or runs etc. I feel that they are good starting place, im working on the moving walk at the same time should be able to post some progress on that tommorow.

Ive seen the Moom rig its very cool :) I may use him when I come to a full body walk (we shall see)

cheers mate

-Darken

Amit_S
12-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I was analysing ur walk cycle to see if I'm not doing something that u r.

And there is no down position on your cycle.
Generally the contact pose is when the height is medium. Then when he puts his front leg down and the weight is on that leg the body height dips down. After that on the Up and Extreme up- his height is maximum.

But in this cycle- there is no down. The least height is during the contact pose.

Did that deliberately?

blurgh
12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Umm.... i did have the survival kit open infront of me, however i may not have listened to it all that much. I think I put one in or though i think i tried to keep it subtle. You gotta rember the survuval kit is for 2d and some things just dont work as well in 3d (imo). Plus my cycle probably isnt all that good ;)

-Darken

Amit_S
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Hmmmm............
about what u said about being subtle in 3d as opposed to 2d....
It really makes me think.
Do you mind doing me 1 favour? Plz check out my thread again and look at the very 1st cycle. Now thats very subtle. But as you are saying here thats might what be needed for 3d.

As far as this cycle is concerned- looks good and natural- so it works!
What matters is performance given not the so-called principles followed. If twisting the rules gives you a better result -then so be it.

Or perhaps we are both missing some part of the puzzle here and our work will look better with those principles IF we learn to apply them properly? Hmm..
Time to put on my thinking cap.

blurgh
12-10-2006, 08:12 PM
lol well.. i do agree that the ends justify the means ! but we are probably missing something lol. Ill take a look at your cycle when i get home from work

-Darken

3dsensei
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey their daken,
Good job on the walkcycle. I only got a couple crits.
First off all, you have too watch out for IK snapping. both legs is snapping when they come back, and the right leg also snaps when it hits the ground in front.
secondly the hips needs to pull the legs more, when you take a step, the motion starts in the hips. So the hip pulls, then the leg comes. Last, i think that you need just i little bit more weight in the down position.

hope it helps :thumbsup:

NikLG
12-12-2006, 01:40 PM
You gotta rember the survuval kit is for 2d and some things just dont work as well in 3d (imo)

I don't think that's true at all. When you're animating in 2D you are working in 3 dimensions still, they are just represented in 2D. All the same principals apply. For some reason people don't tend to exaggerate to the same extent in 3D, especially if they have no 2D experience. If you follow the '2D rules' with your 3D work then your 3D work will stand out against all the rest...in a good way.

I think you're walk is pretty cool. Maybe something on the body that shows the viewer ( and you ) where the centre line is would help people read it a bit better. As it's a sphere it's hard to tell if it's turning / shifting the way one would expect it too. Shadows under the feet would help too, to be able to see where the contact point is. I can't tell which frame the foot is landing on. It looks like it might be 'rolling' a bit. Maybe bring the foot and toes down flat in the contact frame to stick it down. It'll read better that way and won't make it look to stampy.

Nik

EDIT:
Just had a look at the side view...I think he ( or she ) is on his toes for too long. The planted foot is only flat up to the cross-over. I would try and keep it flat for as long as you can, and plant the leading foot on the frame after the heel contact. Those things will give it a lot more weight. ( I know that he is walking up hill, but I don't think it's steep enough to justify toe wallking... )

Nik

blurgh
12-12-2006, 10:32 PM
hey guys thanks for the cirts !

i was wondering with the IK snap how do I get rid of that, is it just to do with placings on the feet? m having a go at offsetting the Hips from the legs now, so hoefully it should make it look like the hips are workign the legs (rather than the other way round :P)

NikLG, yep your are most defiantly right about both points ! im trying to flatten the foot, it requitring a bit of manipulation of the pose to get that foot down , but it is looking better !

3dsensei
12-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi darken, the IK snapping happens becouse the IK is strecht out, all the way, or to far, then the knee pops. the way to get rit of it, is to make sure that the leg is never strecht all the way, just make sure is a little bit bend, not much, just enough so the knee dosn't pop.

nikLG- you are totaly right. But in some ways it's a bit harder to exaggerate in 3d, becouse of rig limitations.

blurgh
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
ah i c ! cheers fr the help ill get right on that!

LEGC
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry for my English
Hi Darken:

My suggestions

In frame 1 give more up rotation Y in the hips and more rotation X also in the hips to benefit the left leg. In frame 7 more down rotation Y. Be sure to make the same in the opposite leg.

Remember, try to maintain the knee straight in frame 1,7 and 12.

I hope that this will help you.

blurgh
12-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi guys, right well ive had a go at trying to address your comments, was a bit tricky (without having to start again :p) To be honest im now not sure if its better or not. Some things i found a little hard, like making the down pose stronger just seemed to make him bob way too crazily lol. Anyway hope you guys get a chance to look at the revamp.

Front (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkrevampfront.avi)
Side (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkrevampside.avi)
Back (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkrevampback.avi)
Persp (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/walkrevamppersp.avi)

cheers guys

-Darken

NikLG
12-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Looks good. It has more weight now with the feet staying on the floor longer.

Nik

moose2k1
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
hi, two quick things:

a. The right knee is popping. I don't see a frame counter on it (you may want to install a mel script so you have that) so I can't say what frame # exactly, but its when his right leg is straight. If you frame by frame to that point, you can see the right knee is too bent before it goes straight. Compare it to his left knee and you will see what I mean

b. I still think you need more up and down, specifically the down part. Try his root further down on contacts. You are squashing and stretching, which is good, but that won't compensate for the root's position. Up may be fine, but give a whirl with the root going down further.

Good progress on this!

blurgh
12-15-2006, 10:30 PM
heh i forgot to put them frame counter on those playblasts, hopefully ill get some time tommorow to try and address the knee popping, with the adding more 'down' does it need a lot or just a little bit more ?

-Darken

moose2k1
12-16-2006, 12:17 AM
always push it too much, then scale down. Its easier to notice things when it is way out of sink and then start to tone it done little by little until it doesn't bother you anymore =)

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2006, 12:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.