PDA

View Full Version : custom properties and relations constraint conflict

jomoj
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Please bear with me, this is slightly complicated...

I'm setting up a character with fingers controlled by custom properties on a marker attached to the skeleton, the finger bones have been renamed so they are not characterised and added into the control rig.

The hand is animated by keying the custom property sliders which in turn drive the fingers via a relations constraint. This works very well with much better tweening than is obtained by using the ik fingers, the only problem is that you lose the advantage of the pose controls for quickly keying in hand poses.

One way I've got round this is to key the custom properties on the finger control marker in various poses, save these out (using save selection) and then load and organise them using a generic anim track in the story mode. This works ok but I really want to create a range of presets that can be activated and then keyed when desired. The presets work using a relations constraint to set a series of values for the custom properties that in turn pose the fingers. Activating the preset makes the fingers move to the set position and changes the values visible in the properties window, however when a key is set on the property and the preset deactivated, the fingers return to where they were.

It seems that there is a certain priority of the custom property values that remains in place even though they appear to be overwritten by a values set by the constraint. I've tried reordering the constraints but this has no effect.

Any ideas how i can get this to work or is it a non-starter?

cheers

Joe

oftheclassics
12-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Try to animation the Weight of the constraints

jomoj
12-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Well that's exactly what I am doing; using a boolean custom property and an 'if/then/else' function to set the constraint weights to 0 or 100 and it doesn't work unfortunately.

LoneCanuck
12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
It's an age old problem.

You can't key an object that is being driven by a Relations constraint since they occur in real-time - at least that was how it was explained to me when I worked at Kaydara.

I've been begging them to get this to work but the only way to set any keys is to hit RECORD as you adjust the animation in the Relations.

Only problem is you get a key on every frame - undesirable for keyframing.

-=Lone CanucK=-

jomoj
12-07-2006, 10:22 AM
ah right, thank you. I'll stop banging my head against the wall.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2006, 10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.