PDA

View Full Version : lightwave function

DrAdamDinosaur
03-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Wow, i just saw that the price of lightwave was US$2495! Thats amazing. Now i'm not a lightwave user but this could change me. I do have one question though.

Could someone please tell me if lightwave has a feature liek maya's Set Driven Keys? or some type of object driving system. By this i mean having a "Control" object which you can place a list of attributes in and these attributes can then drive certain parts of a character. One for arm up/down, one for bending elbow, etc. I know this can be done by selecting the joints but this makes everything easier.

CIM
03-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Wrong, Lightwave 3D 7 is $1,595. It was a bargain at $2495, now they're practically giving it away. Heck, you get the best modeler and renderer in the industry, plus tons of other great tools.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with Set Driven, but it sounds like it could easily be done with some Nulls and an expression. I'm sure Lightwave has a couple of ways to do what you want.

Mike RB
03-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Dr Adam: Yes, but its not as robust as mayas. There is somthing called cyclist in Lw where you animate as many objects as you want, then using the Cyclist motion controler you can tie them to the movement of a null (for a slider). There are a couple of other ways as well.... So the functionality is there, its just in a different form.

Mike

DrAdamDinosaur
03-24-2002, 03:50 AM
Ok, thanks. I guess now i'll have to do some research into these "cyclists". Ind if its US1,595 then thats just amazing!

LyonHaert
03-24-2002, 04:53 AM
cyclist is a plugin that comes with 7

and i read in Inside LightWave 7 about using nulls and expressions to control other objects. so if you had an airplane with moving flaps and such, you could have a set of nulls controlling their rotation. especially useful for multiple objects doing similar things. as a ridiculous example, let's say you have some sort of vehicle with several pairs of wing-like parts (like folding wings, bay doors, air brakes) that would all move from their fully 'closed' position to their fully 'open' position at the same time. by setting expressions for each of them in relation to a single null, you only have to animate the null to operate them >.]

Mike RB
03-24-2002, 05:01 AM
cyclist came with 5.6 Its been around for a while

Tudor
03-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Well.. there is always follower..
You can connect an attribute from any object onto another object.

I use it all the time.

DrAdamDinosaur
03-26-2002, 07:45 AM
I think SDK's is one of mayas biggest features because they were so quick and easy to use. The "follower" sounds like a maya connection editor thing. Seems like lightwave has some of the cool functions then. Now heres the big one. Does lightwave have a "graph editor"? i mean an editor where you see a graph that shows an objects rotation, scale and movement attributes in animation?

AnimaLMotheR
03-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by DrAdamDinosaur
Now heres the big one. Does lightwave have a "graph editor"? i mean an editor where you see a graph that shows an objects rotation, scale and movement attributes in animation?

Yup. And its called, drumroll plz, "Graph Editor". :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.