PDA

View Full Version : Unnamable (LD)

BenEoff
12-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone, this is my new project. Hope you like so far.

http://beneoff.com/images/animal/ap03.jpg

Stinkfoot
12-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Well it's very skillfully made I can tell you that, I just don't like the design...

glynnsmith
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Whilst you obviously have a lot of skill in z-modelling, I find the parts of this hard to read and believe:

For starters, he's so top heavy, it looks like he's going to fall straight onto his....face :P

Second, I can't see a purpose for his rear arms - they won't have the forward reach of his more naturally placed limbs, so what are they for? Scratching bums?

His head, also, seems to be made up of just a lot of detail with no underlying form. This makes it look rather messy and unreadable. The detail and form you have for his upper body (shoulders, chest, back) look spot on, though.

Someone once told me that messing around with anatomy is an incredibly tricky thing because we obviously know correct anatomy so well that any discrepancies are instantly recognisable. Another reason is because everything is there because of some evolutionary reason.

Because you're going the multi-limbed route, I'd suggest looking at macro-photography of insects and arachnids, but you've come so far along that it might be tricky to reverse engineer it.

Best of luck with this dude, and I hope I haven't offended you with any of this. It shows a lot of promise - A lot of the detail is lovely, just a few bits that, in my opinion, stand out more than they should :)

G

Por@szek
12-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Say what U want, I love the design. And its made awesome, I see U have a lot of skills in Zb.
Gratz for awesome model.

DooFi
12-05-2006, 05:26 PM
No doubt it looks awesome, although I do not really like the design. Very skillful modeling. Maybe will be more believable ingame, when it is textured and moving.

MK2
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I like it a lot, just two things that big me... these elephant-sized legs/feets and the absolute symmetry. A little smaller and they would be perfect. I absolutley like this flesh stuff with all the muscles and such... great!

arrangemonk
12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
face the trouth, its a bud ugly creature! isnt it?
hope you ceep the style till the ned lol

Dupikus
12-05-2006, 10:54 PM
omg i cant wait to see the normal map :D
maan you are really awesome
as a model for games its really amazing

it looks even too detailed but i'm sure it's because of the colors
gratz!

mindrot
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Nice work, but it's really hard on finding where to focus. There is some lovely detail in there, especially on the head and chest area, but overall I find it kind of awkward.

I think a bit more thought could have been put in to the actual design of this creature and that would have made this a much stronger character overall. It just seems that there is way too much going on.

Just my two pennies. Keep going though. Any plans on texturing it?

~M~

Ikosan
12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Mate thats makes my head hurt. You've obviously got skills with zbrush but i agree with Glynnsmith. Although its a great model it needs work on the design to make it seem like it could actually exist. Maybe you should make the tail longer so that it wouldn't fall flat on its face?
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=98561)

NME-Se7eN
12-06-2006, 02:28 AM
You haven't gotten Prey all the way out of your system yet, have you. It's okay to admit it...

BenEoff
12-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be completing this one, regardless of whether it works or not. This was for me more an exploration of technique, not philosophy, and it will be completed with the same intent.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 02:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.