PDA

View Full Version : PC and Apple displays

temp
03-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi all, as you see on CGC news, Apple launched 23 in LCD. I have 15 in and 22 in cinema displays. I am planning to get PC with Nvidia Quadro 4 XGL 900.

I'd like to use Apple monitors.
There is a converter, Apple's ADC connection to DVI, called DViator from Dr. Bott LLC [http://www.drbott.com/]. They only have tested few graphic cards, like Geforce 2 chips.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried with Quadro 4.
I don't think Dr. Bott will ever test this high-end graphic card...

Or does anyone know this will not work theoretically?

Thanks

phatgroovn
03-29-2002, 07:39 PM
Not directly...however one thing to keep in mind, and a problem i have run into when trying to push really high resolutions through a digital pipe. The ADC and DVI interface don't allow for very high refresh rates at much resolution.

Make sure to check that the video card supports the res and refresh rate that you need. If it does, it should work.

-d

temp
03-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Right, I see...I haven't seen new Quadro 4 XGL 900 resolution and ref.rate anywhere, not even Nvidia site. Cinema display 22in has 1600 x 1024(wide). I don't know ref. rate... I was told that Q4XGL900 supports upto 2048 x 1536. Gloria III supprts widescreen, so why not Q4XGL...I don't know how important ref.rate is for LCDs. ??? I'm not sure.
Thanks

phatgroovn
03-29-2002, 08:31 PM
I have a gloria III, and while its resoluion choices are endless. there is a difference between the VGA resolutions and the DIGITAL resolutions that it supports. It only supports up to 1280x1024 DIGITAL, while going to some ungodly amount in the analog world. The reason is that the DVI connectors are already pushing the data rate limits of the DVI interface, hence not allowing for both high resolution and high refresh rate.

temp
03-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks, I didn't know differenses bt VGA and DVI res.
so your Gloria III supports Digital upto 1280 x 1024.
You couldn't use 22 inch. LCD resolution at 1600 x 1024 with GIII.
Q4XGL might supports more???
I'll find out, let ou know.
Thanks again and later

sketchguy
03-29-2002, 11:45 PM
I have the first generation 22" Cinema Display (pure DVI connector, not ADC) and have been trying to hook it up to my GeForce3 Ti200 DVI with no success.

What happens is when the PC boots I see the DOS screen and then the welcome to Windows 2000 Pro and then it goes blank. Arggh. I've tried many different refresh rates and still can't get it to work. A call to MSI was no help either.

Anyone here have the same circumstance and experience that I have? I'd really like to use my Cinema Display with the PC and if someone should have happened to get it to work I'd love to talk with you!

temp
03-30-2002, 05:55 AM
I saw a forum somewhere, you need to boot up with CRT and configure something...somrthing to "LCD" or ?. Then boot up with LCD...
I don't know what need to be changed, but I saw it somewhere...Let me see...

temp
03-30-2002, 06:48 AM
It is possible...
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/Cinema_Display/pc_with_cinema_display1.jpg

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001187.html

You need to work on...
http://www.coffeehaus.com/wiki/html/WideScreen/My_Success.htm

temp
04-05-2002, 03:58 PM
sketchguy, any success yet?

sketchguy
04-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Hey Temp!

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have some free time this afternoon, but also need to put some much needed work into my March WIP Challenge! Argh!! I'll let you know if I have any success definitely by this weekend.

sketchguy
04-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Ok, so I decided to sit down and experiment first thing this morning. A few weeks ago I had gone through the ridiculously long task of setting different Hertz and resolution settings while hooked up to my normal VGA monitor, then shut down and restart with the LCD plugged in - no dice at all.

I then noticed the Device Selection wasn't even recognizing the LCD display to begin with. So 10 minutes ago, I thought to myself :lightbulb "hmm, what will happen if I hook up both monitors at the same time?" knowing that the card doesn't support multi-monitors.

Well, I tried this while that panel was open and WALLAH!!, suddenly, the "Digital Flat Panel" goes from grayed out to active, and my Cinema Display turns on with Windows running while the VGA monitor turns off. I still can't believe it was that simple! :scream:

Of course, I couldn't find this solution in print ANYWHERE and even called MSI a few weeks ago and they just told me "it should automatically detect the monitor at startup" which it did but only up to seeing the Windows logo, then it would blank out.

Here's exactly what I did:

Be normally booted up with your existing VGA monitor.

Right click on your desktop to bring up Display Properties, then go to Settings -> Advanced -> Device Selection

Now, just plug in the DVI connector from the Cinema Display into the graphics card. You'll notice the "Digital Flat Panel" goes from grayed out to active. Select it and it automatically detects it. You can then unplug the VGA monitor.

The max res this particular MSI GeForceIII Ti200 supports is 1600 x 1024, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz

I was even able to connect the USB cable coming from the monitor (remember, these first generation monitors have the 3 cables splitting from one - power, DVI, USB) directly to the PCs USB card and it recognized the new hardware. (I had to restart) I'm typing this with my Apple Pro Keyboard and optical one-button mouse. My Microsoft IntelliExplorer is sitting right next to it and it works at the same time.

I just fired up Maya and the Command key on the Apple keyboard is equivalent to the "Windows" key (which I absolutely ABHOR :annoyed: while working in Maya because it's just in the way and constantly gets pressed accidentally) on the PC. "Option" on the Apple (which is also labeled alt) does the trick in Maya, but you have to use the 3-button mouse as expected.

So, there ya go TEMP - give it a try and let me know if you got it to work! It sure beats spending $400 for a switchbox (though I wouldn't mind that convenience)

Oh, I have yet to try switching back monitors but I imagine it would be the same - just disconnect the LCD and the PC should revert back to automatically detecting the VGA monitor.

temp
04-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Well done! You know there is a swichbox from Gefen, 1 cinema display and 2 machines, Mac and PC. That's good too!
http://www.gefen.com/products/extendit/kvm_usb_switches/dviswitch/index.html
Well done again and thanks!

sketchguy
04-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Let me know when you try the switch yourself and tell me if you had any problems.

Originally posted by temp
You know there is a swichbox from Gefen, 1 cinema display and 2 machines, Mac and PC. That's good too!

Yeah, but for $499?!?!! :eek: :eek: Yeesh! Way too much. :shame:

temp
07-24-2002, 12:34 AM
I have my Cinema Display 22inch work with Quadro 4 900 XGL. :-)
But I noticed little noises on some grey area....
In photoshop, make an empty doc and draw pure black from one side to white to the other side. You'll see sparkling nose somewhere there?!?
temp

De-Cypher
07-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Just as a previous post i made:

There is an article on MaxPC reviewing an Alienware Gaming Computer running the 23" display using that converter you mentioned. The review said that the image quality was stunning, and they could crank out the highest game settings on computer and have it displayed incredibaly on screen.

temp
07-24-2002, 06:35 PM
"There is an article on MaxPC"... do you have its address? I'd like to have a look!
Cheers!

De-Cypher
07-25-2002, 02:02 PM
MaxPC magazine, depending where your at, if in the US just go to barnes&nobles

temp
07-25-2002, 10:31 PM
ah...so it's not an online review.... :-(

Well my cinema display shows noise a bit from primary port, but second port works fine. 15 inch Aple LCD works just fine without noise on any port.
BTW, my card is Quadro4 900 XGL with dual DVI port.
I thought something wrong with my card but after I hooked smaller LCD and worked...so soething incompatible with Cinema Display.

In the review you saw, was there any comment about noise?

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.