PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good tutorial?

Dark Soldier
12-04-2006, 05:34 PM
what makes a good tutorial?
hi everyone

just doing some research for my dissertation

whats makes a good tutorial? is video better than images and text? or a combination of both?

i'm covering characters for games, so just tell me what kinda stuff you want to know

thanks too anyone that replies :)

HughieDM
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I personaly like pictures and text that way I can go back if I have a problem without much truble other then looking back then rewinding

ElFuego
12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah I agree mostly with HughieDM. Text/image tutorials are good because you don't have to keep up like in video tuts... But sometimes nothing can beat a good video tutorial. For example with painting tutorials videos rock.

It's just too hard to explain (and to understand) the principles of digital painting by watching stills and reading text. I use both tutorials but tend to favor videos because it's more rewarding to watch "live" some of the most talented artist in the world (wether is't gnomon series or just some kickass "nobody" who makes your sox rock!) :D

So I'd say that videos are brilliant for artsy stuff and text/stills pwn for technical stuff.

maantas
12-04-2006, 07:22 PM
personally i like the ones that allow me understand the concept but i can make something else using technique described it tutorial, ....so i dont need to fallow step by step, but rather do something else... i learn this way faster,...

ArchangelTalon
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I agree, a good tutorial should teach techniques you can carry with you rather than the standard "how to make a [xyz]" efforts. The thing being made should only serve as an example of how and where to use certain techniques that are being taught.

Giving your own reasoning behind choices and actions also helps people understand why a certain path was chosen. Not for everything, obviously, but for things there's a few ways around.

I prefer video tutorials over text/images as you get a full visual walkthrough of how something's done. You also get voice commentary, which usually adds a lot as commentary also tends to contain a lot more reasoning and other helpful tips along the way compared to text-based tuts purely because the author needs something to say to fill in the gaps or can quickly explain something as an aside, which you can't as easily do in text :P

The pausing/rewinding thing isn't a big deal for me. I'm very much a learner by seeing and doing rather than studying.

Dark Soldier
12-04-2006, 09:18 PM
thanks for replying

thanks for all suggestions. the tuorials i'm making are about how to create characters for games, not all will be video but there will be lots of images and documents. i'm covering modelling and texturing, unfortunately not rigging because of the limited time (have to write dissertation, and other assignments)

during christmas period i'm aiming to finish the modelling section and then get people to evaluate them so that they can be improved so that the content if accurate, has high educational value and is clearly presented.

if there any suggestions on what u want covered in the videos please do so.
also i need people to evaluate the videos so if your up from just post your email on this thread or email me at alexjupp83@hotmail.com

thank you

theabyss
12-05-2006, 12:26 AM
You should ask yourself what group of people your tutorial is aiming for.
Pro´s,Advanced,Newbies...that would influence the way you write the tutorial.
With Pro´s for example you can assume that they know most of the stuff you´re talking about and you dont have to explain where to find this or that button.With Newbies you have to explain sometimes even the most simple things first
before you go any further.
I found it helpfull to ask the community i was writing for about their opinion.
When they approved that it was helpfull and had no major errors the tutorial went from "beta" stage to "release"...

You will find my tutorials here:

Planet-Abyss "The Tutorial Site" (http://people.freenet.de/the_unreal_abyss02/tut_css.html)

They are in german only but i think you get the idea...

Stinkfoot
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Well an example of a good video tutorial is Ben mathis' Unwrapping/rigging tut's
(www.poopinmymouth.com)
It covers every step at a very comfortable tempo...

The main problem I have with tutorials on text is that they tend to miss a couple of steps..

1. Make model
2. Unwrap model
3. ????? <- insert tutorial killing missing step here.
4. finished model

i've noticed that a lot with some tuts.

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.