PDA

View Full Version : A couple poly modeling questions

JustChris
12-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I typically model environments and architecture, but am trying to give character modeling a shot. I don't want to wing it on my first serious attempt so I have a few questions. I'll be posting it here when I've progressed far enough :D

How would you model a low-poly head? So far I've followed the ol' Joan of Arc modeling tutorial for body modeling and have almost the whole body done except for the head. (I'm only using the tutorial for the body, not the whole outfit) The head in that tutorial looks too detailed for real-time, I think. Should I still use it? If not, are there any low-poly head tutorials you recommend?

Also, how many polys (tris) is okay for a next gen platform? I think the main characters in RE4 had about 10,000 each, and ran on the current-gen PS2 and Gamecube so this looks like a reasonable aim.

ArchangelTalon
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
For faces, I tend to start over the nose and model a strip that'd follow down the cheek and meet below the mouth (following the line that goes from nose to the corners of the mouth). Then model the loops that around the key parts like the mouth, eyes and jawline/chin then sort of fill in the gaps.

I have absolutely no idea if that's the "correct" way to do it, though. I do find it leads to a decently looped mesh as everything then becomes based on loops extending out from the areas that recieve the most deformation and require the best looking deformation.

I've never followed the Joan of Arc tutorial, but I've just had a peek and it looks like a good way of going about it.

Yeah, I reckon 7k - 10k is a good target to aim for.

phantomworkshop
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm at a similar point right now trying to decide a good method for modeling the body. I've come across those that use a single polygon and just extrude edges to fill in the forms, cutting and splitting to add in the details. Then there are others who start from primitives such as a box or cylinder. What I'm wondering is, in a tutorial such as Joan of Arc, where you extrude upwards from the foot.. is that still practical? Do people in the industry still use that today? Also... if I do want to use a method such as I described before going 'poly-by-poly' or 'edge extrusion' as some call it. Where could I find training on that? What training would you recommend?

Psyk0
12-05-2006, 04:28 AM
I personally mix both.

For heads i usually start with a single poly and build all the loops, i'll get to an acceptable detailed level and optimize afterwards. I prefer to clean up a model than go back and add loops (tho sometimes i'll go back and add a few polys here and there to adjust the silhouette).

For the body i use cylinders and pbp, human form is made of cylinders so why start with a box when you can have the shape you need right away?.

The Joan of Arc tutorial is a good way to get started, the head topo is pretty good. I'm not sure about specific training for pbp, but building heads after heads will certainly help, also check out wireframes it's very helpful.

phantomworkshop
12-05-2006, 05:31 AM
Psyk0 Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. What would you recommend for learning to model the body with cylinders like you described? Any recommended training? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

MrEric
12-05-2006, 08:15 AM
look on Ben Mathis tutorial section http://www.poopinmymouth.com/

site contains massing out forms. this may help you with modeling torso from cylinder

cheers :thumbsup:

HughieDM
12-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Great thread Ill be watching this
Nice site MrEric
Cant wait to see what you come up with Chris

JustChris
12-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I guess there's more than one right way to go about modeling the head. The head is the most tricky part for me. I see myself better at body proportions and usually do the body by extruding a cube face and going from there.

ArchangelTalon, looks like 7-10k is right on the money for my character. The lowpoly version I have so far is only about 1.8k but after smoothing 1 level it comes to between 7-8k.

HughieM, thanks for the compliment. The character I'm working on isn't original, but I liked the design so that's why I'm doing it. Once I finish the head I'll post a thread for it.

ArchangelTalon
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
JustChris, you shouldn't be using smoothing (I'm guessing you're subdividing it or something?) to get the polycount up to where you want it. You should be building it so that it ends up at that resolution :)

You'll find you waste a shedload of polys by doing that that could be used elsewhere in your model to much greater effect. It also tends to make your model look like some kind of amorphous blob.

JustChris
12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
When I subdivide the polys in my model, it doesn't look TOO blobby and the form still looks good too me. I do agree with you that it wastes a lot of polys in some places, like in the torso. So I'll just keep the low poly version and then build up more faces for a more detailed version.

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.