PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Artist Capable of Doing Low-Poly 3D Modeling, Texturing and Animation

Morphecy
12-04-2006, 12:12 PM
***I found the artist, position is filled. Thanks everybody for your interest.***

Company
Polycount Productions (http://www.polycountproductions.com)

Project Name
Edoiki (http://www.edoiki.com)

Wanted
3D modeler capable of doing low-poly modeling, texturing, and animation. Position pays a little in form of royalties and possibly small (read: tiny) monthly “pocket money”.

Project Description
Edoiki game project started in January 2006 and was aimed to be released at Q3/Q4 2006. The first beta was aimed to summer, but the deadline was missed and my summer holiday postponed the project. Some time ago, the 2D artist “left the building” leaving only 2 members in the team: me (producer/programmer) and sound artists (who is waiting for tasks). Meanwhile I approached one movie company in Finland about possibility to brand Edoiki for them, but I haven’t heard from them after the phone I had with their producer. At

The Edoiki project uses a tactical combat system which means it requires more brain over speed. The “simple and quick project” wasn’t so simple and quick (partially because of 2 key persons leaving the team) but today the network framework works pretty well and tiny parts of the actual gameplay has been programmed.

I have tested the first gameplay with couple of people and it looks like there’s need for more interaction in the game. The framework that I’ve programmed makes it lots of easier to me to add features, and so I have planned 3 different game modes (all can be played online with other players). Three play modes range from “real time” to “partially turn based or partially real time” to “turn based” playing.

* First mode: Kata training. This is the original concept where 2 (or potentially more in the later versions) players compete in doing different katas - or series movements - using weapons. The main idea of this mode is to secretly choose your movement and make sure it’s better than opponent’s move. This mode will require bit similar logic as there’s in Stratego board game.

* Second mode: Class training. In this mode there will be one instructor and class full of students practising different moves. This mode requires reflexes and faster response from player.

* Third mode: Free fight. In this mode there - surprise, surprise - occurs fighting that combines the need for both wits & quickness (that you hopefully learned in the first 2 modes…).

Target aim:
Shareware, PC/Windows

Compensation
Position pays a little in form of royalties and possibly small (read: tiny) monthly "pocket money".

Talent needed
The artist would take responsibility in modeling 3D characters and objects for our upcoming Eastern themed Edoiki online multiplayer game. I’m not looking for a guy who necessary has decades of industry expert and does extremely high quality work - when he finds time. I’m more interested in enthusiastic hobbyist or somebody who does pretty good art and could be interested in seeing his work in real published game. More information about the project in the end of this entry.

You are:
Here's the qualities I'm after in a nutshell:

* NOT a top-notch 3D artist who never finishes anything.

* Can do pretty good low-poly modeling (You should be able to do 3D models that have at least the quality like in these pictures: [1] (http://www.gameproducer.net/images/115.jpg) and [2] (http://www.gameproducer.net/images/116.jpg))

* Can spend roughly 5-10 (or more) hours every week to make the game

* Is willing to work on royalty based work or for a small (tiny) monthly payment until a certain sum is reached (as an indie my game budget is shoe-string tiny and thus I’m not able to pay a salary, but I can pay some pocket money every month)

* Positive minded, has passion for games and works well in team.

* Has texturing and animating skills (feel free to download my Hightailed (http://www.hightailed.com/download.php) game to see what type of animations I’m after)

* Basically a guy who is interested in doing art for games, can do pretty good 3D art, and is interested in working together also in the future.

Then some other qualities that are considered as good

* Is interested in martial arts (has perhaps even belt rank in some martial art) as the game characters know martial arts and need to be animated.

* Plays online multiplayer games (my company Polycount Productions is focused on making games that people can play together).

* No need to be good at making concepts, although that’s a plus.

More details about the position:
click here (http://www.gameproducer.net/2006/12/04/wanted-artist-capable-of-doing-low-poly-3d-modeling-texturing-and-animation/)

Contact
Contact me (http://www.gameproducer.net/contact/)

DanielWray
12-04-2006, 02:14 PM
hey, sounds like a cool project. really excited about the diffrent game modes. its good that your catering for a wider audience :). would it be possible in the game to mix modes like one day its realtime and the next day you go on you can play turn based. or would the modes be completley seperate from each other (since i dont know how a real time player could interact with a turn base player). anyway i would be really interested in helping mostly with modeling since my texturing skills arent top notch. i personally think i could model anything for the game i.e. characters, weapons, buildings, maps and all things in between. check out my website and Cg portfolio for some of my higher poly models and my thread on here called (superhero moonstalker) for some of my lower poly game works, that character would be for a third person adventure game and i understand that these types of game require less polygons, which i think i could do. anyway if you want help Pm please since i would really like to help :)

edit:: i have a game studio near me that i really want to work for so i would put a %11o into this to get a decent portfolio. just to let ya know :)

thanks

Morphecy
12-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Day/Night cycles sounds good (could use that for some gameplay specific system), but I doubt it's possible to have turnbased & realtime like you suggested.

I checked your portfolio and I'd rather see people who could do all (modeling+texturing+animating) rather than just certain things. Modeling is needed, that's for sure, as we will need weapons and naturally level stuff, so if some other artist could do all the textures then I suppose this kind of arrangement could be okay.

I will get back to you. Thanks.

(And for others to know: I'm still accepting people to apply for this position)

LaughingBun
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Hello i am very interested. my only real question at the moment is what the expected complete time is. I understand games take a while to complete but i hate being on teams that lolly gag. Im sure you guys work harder than most mod teams... Oh yeah im not really the best at animating i can do it though. PM me or something

XepptizZ
12-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Sounds like me :).

As for the money, it must pay more than the free mods I'm working on :P

DanielWray
12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
i was offering modeling for free in my spare time (about 7-8 hours a week), yea some money would be nice but i already got a job. if it went gold then i would like some of the money then but for now i would be happy to work for nothing, just want to see my work in a game engine and have something for my reel.

Morphecy
12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Dan, XepptizZ, and Bun (and others who read the post and applied) - thanks for your interest. I've gone through & checked work by everybody who applied and talked with 2 guys who have been selected for the job.

It's great to see so many people getting interested (and seeing so MUCH of FINE ART :)) than I first even expected.

All the best,
-J

TaylorMouse
12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, I'm interested if you are still hiring :)

Stuff by me, in my sig

Grts.

T.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.