PDA

View Full Version : basketball dribble and dunk

dragonlair81
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
alrighty,

Here is a simple animation of my character dribble a bball then dunking it. i know the end needs work but just wanted to through it up to see what other see.

click me (http://stuartbalagot.com/movies/stusbball_v001.avi)

thanks

anthonymcgrath
12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
wipes the floor with mine :(

dARCKLOWN
12-04-2006, 11:56 AM
You have some good basics down and the start is quite nice, I think the main problem your having is that he is hitting his poses very sharply ie theres not flow to him, if you look at reference of people dunking youll see that that movement you have there is very fluid one kind of grand arc curving up to the dunk, if you work out on smoothing out the overall movement I think youll have a really nice animation.

Its important to good solid poses but then to also take a step back and look at the entire track to make sure it all works together not just poses and segments :)

Good luck

noobie
12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
hmm i kinda like that "jerkyness" in your animation i think it works fine except maybe the dunk i cant really tell what looks funny about it maybe IF U EXPORTED IT AS A QUICKTIME! lol.. anyways everything else i think looks good just after the dunk and he lands that last motion seems... too stiff i think its in his arms im not entirely sure ill have to watch it a few more times

edit*

yeah after he dunks the hands stay locked on the hoop for a few frames then they just kinda pop all the way down in like 1 or 2 frames thats why that landing looks funny

dragonlair81
12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the comments. here is an update. i threw on his head and clothes and fixed the hands at the end of the dunk.

click me (http://www.stuartbalagot.com/movies/stusbball_v002.avi)

mistasam02
12-05-2006, 06:57 AM
wow the ending almost looks mocapped! it's got that "shaky-cleanup-wierd-hands" thing goin on... lol. :D i think your biggest prob is smoothing your arcs. there's a lot of popping and wierdness, but your timing and poses are very nice! you could push the poses in the beginning, but once he starts dribblin thru the legs, all is good. nice work!

Amit_S
12-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Really cool stuff man!

No critiques cause I just started doing ani :(
I really want to follow this clips progess to learn by watching.
Just 1 question: from what I'm reading now- u always squash/stretch balls and other stuff to give it more life. I didnt see any squash/stretch on your ball here. Why's that? was it deliberate and your are going for very subtle animation ? or some other reason?

overEZ
12-08-2006, 08:06 PM
i really liked the head movement. made me laugh! keep up the great work! A little criticism... when the guy is dribbling while standing i feel like he needs to engage his shoulder and elbow a little more.

Anton980
12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
This is great, I love it!
The wrists move strangely when he dribbles at first, and the ball doesnt bounce after he dunks. It rolls off, kind of like a bowling ball. Other than that - great!

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.