PDA

View Full Version : parallel's "coherency" blurs line between windows and OSX

maX_Andrews
12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Primary source: http://forums.parallels.com/thread5997.html
Parallels, makers of parallels desktop for mac, which allows mac owners to run and install windows under virtualization, released a new beta this past friday with many new and improved features. The most interesting is called "coherency," which allows windows applications to be run alongside mac applications within OSX, and also allowing the use of unified shortcuts between the two, and copy/pasting of data. Here is a video which shows how this feature works:
http://michaelverdi.com/index.php/2006/12/02/parallels-screencast/

Other features include:
improved 3D support. 3D performance in windows improves by 50% in this beta, and the parallels team plans to implement direct3D technology in the near future.
Seemless drag and drop between windows and OSX
Ability to run parallels from a bootcamp partition, allowing dual booting if desired.

Howitzer
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
That sounds pretty good for the mac folks. I'm not in any rush to get a mac, but it's good to know the transition would be smooth if and when I do it.

I remember seeing a screenshot of mac os that showed a windows app running seemingly by itself. I guess this is what that was.

Fredl
12-05-2006, 05:16 AM
I think most Mac users probably wouldn't want to have Windows apps running in there.

But for those people that do want to have Mac & Windows applications running together at the same time, I guess this will be a useful tool.

Nemoid
12-05-2006, 07:06 AM
will it support vista or XP only?

maX_Andrews
12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Both. People are already using vista with parallels, but some of the features at the moment are for XP only. But with the progress htese guys are making, I'm sure there will be a complete vista solution within a few weeks of it's official consumer release.

dan1el
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
pretty need considering that my next PC (personal computer) will be a mac and I only have Maya 7 (can't afford an upgrade for the unlimited version atm)

victor
12-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I remember seeing a screenshot of mac os that showed a windows app running seemingly by itself. I guess this is what that was.
Actually, unless you saw it in the last few days, it was probably Crossover Mac, which is basically running Windows apps through WINE.

The Coherency feature is basically a new screen mode for Parallels where the Windows desktop is made transparent (as opposed to seeing Windows fullscreen or inside a Mac window). Just the taskbar and windows are visible, and they can appear above, below or in between Mac windows. FYI, all of the Windows stuff stays on the same layer, so if for example, you bring Word to the front, Notepad and the taskbar and any other Windows windows would come forward too. It's also a bit slow when dragging windows around, since it has to adjust the clipping of the desktop.

It's still very cool though. :)

Crazzy Legs
12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
very cool indeed

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.