PDA

View Full Version : Price


bugzilla
02-13-2003, 02:30 PM
I saw XSI 2.5 listed somewhere for $6,500. If you are a student or work in the educational field like myself then you're lucky because you can buy XSI for around $450 from Creation Engine or Journeyed. It's the fully functional version with no watermark. The only caveat is that it is only a one year liscence.

Here's hoping the price war keeps forcing them to lower the price. I'd spring for XSI if it were $2K like Maya, but $6K is way too much for any software package.

onikaze
02-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Just remeber that the $2000 price tag is for maya:complete which is misleading (I think they should change it to maya lite or something). Maya:unlimited is the one that is more complete and that is around $6000 also.

Ran13
02-13-2003, 05:39 PM
To the besty of my recollection, the difference between Complete & Unlimited is the full mental ray license, the Fluids module, and the camera tracking module.

Prior to v4.5, Complete had limited NURBS tools, but as of v4.5, the full suite of NURBS tools was moved to Complete, and a "baby" version of mental ray is included. So the only significant advantages, to my knowledge, of Unlimited, although very nice, in no way makes Complete a "lite" version.

gmask
02-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by bugzilla
I saw XSI 2.5 listed somewhere for $6,500. If you are a student or work in the educational field like myself then you're lucky because you can buy XSI for around $450 from Creation Engine or Journeyed. It's the fully functional version with no watermark. The only caveat is that it is only a one year liscence.

Here's hoping the price war keeps forcing them to lower the price. I'd spring for XSI if it were $2K like Maya, but $6K is way too much for any software package.

The student license does not expire after a year but support does.. I think you only have to prove that you are still astudent or teacher to reactivate the support every year.

BTW Avid says that they have no intention of lowering their price on XSI.

gmask
02-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Ran13
To the besty of my recollection, the difference between Complete & Unlimited is the full mental ray license, the Fluids module, and the camera tracking module.

Prior to v4.5, Complete had limited NURBS tools, but as of v4.5, the full suite of NURBS tools was moved to Complete, and a "baby" version of mental ray is included. So the only significant advantages, to my knowledge, of Unlimited, although very nice, in no way makes Complete a "lite" version.

There is no difference between the Mental Ray avaiable for complete and unlimited.. it's the same software.

The difference between Maya complete and unlimited 4.5 is that unlimited has Fluids, Fur, Cloth, Live. Complete now has SubDivision surfaces which was not included prior to 4.5. The nurbs tools have allways been the same between both versions. There was a games version that mainly had poly tools and some spline based modelling.

Maya unlimited is $6999

Vong
02-14-2003, 06:00 AM
One thing that people seem to always miss, is that XSI @ $6500 is for the XSI Essential bundle. XSI Essential is the base unit, much like Maya Complete. The version of XSI that would be similar to Maya Unlimited is XSI Advanced, and last time I was quoted a price on it, it was around $12,000. Of course, they may have lowered the price on XSI Advanced, but Softimage is not in the market of announcing price drops on their top of the line packages! :)

Ran13
02-14-2003, 07:41 PM
The nurbs tools have allways been the same between both versions

Then someone needs to thump George Maestri in the head for his review of Maya 4.5 in themost recent DV mag. ;) That's where I got the info on the NURBS tools. In fact, the review gave the impression that Maya, in general (read: both versions) had limitied sub-D tools and that 4.5 was a huge step up in that regard.

I guess that's what I get for relying on a Maya review by a guy who used to write 3dsmax books for New Riders. :)

gmask
02-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ran13
Then someone needs to thump George Maestri in the head for his review of Maya 4.5 in themost recent DV mag. ;) That's where I got the info on the NURBS tools. In fact, the review gave the impression that Maya, in general (read: both versions) had limitied sub-D tools and that 4.5 was a huge step up in that regard.

I guess that's what I get for relying on a Maya review by a guy who used to write 3dsmax books for New Riders. :)

Hmmm... is this article..
http://cgw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=166817

Oh ..it's these features..

Edit NURBS > Offset Surfaces
Edit NURBS > Extend Surfaces
Edit NURBS > Booleans > Union Tool
Edit NURBS > Booleans > Subtract Tool
Edit NURBS > Booleans > Intersect Tool
Edit NURBS > Round Tool
Surfaces > Square

I wouldn't call these essential..it's a bigger deal that Sub-D's are now in complete whereas they were not until 4.5

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.