PDA

View Full Version : geometry-rib-exporter

Starrider
12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
hi!
before i waste time and start to write my own, i wanted to ask if there is any rib-exporter out there which will export only the selected mesh into an rib-file or just convert it to a string containing the rib-content.
would be very helpful!
cheers
d.

ChristopherP
12-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey Daniel!

Wouldn't it be a nice exercise - as a future TD - to write it yourself? Just kidding... ;)

LiquidMaya (http://liquidmaya.sourceforge.net/liquidwiki/index.php/Main_Page) has such a functionality built-in, and it's completely open source. Apart from being a full-featured RIB-exporter (kinda like Pixars RendermanForMaya) it also has the command you're probably looking for, where you can use a simple MEL-command to extract the selected objects into a RIB, ascii or binary. Being a MEL-command you can also customize it to your needs...exporting a list of objects etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Greetings from Berlin

Christopher

Starrider
12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
great, great!

that was the answer i wanted to hear. i had some hard time trying to compile liquid, and i stopped it because i wasn't sure if it had such an "export object"-command. but knowing that i'll give it another try.

thanks - greets from the south!

daniel

ps: my mesh-rib-generator script is almost finished :P . i'm currently having some troubles with the uv-order.

ChristopherP
12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Sounds like the TD-course at LuBu is actually worth it ;) . I've seen some good stuff come out of it. Wish i could've studied there... :shrug:

Compiling LiquidMaya shouldn't be too hard anymore, less if you have some experience with coding. The latest releases (get the CVS-tree off their sourceforge-site) all have project files for VisualStudio, which makes it even easier.

Have fun :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.