PDA

View Full Version : Faked Specular reflection

Swordsman
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
**Ok I've figured out the solution to my initial question below. You just go about assigning the texture to the reflection color and you'll get the same effect.**

I've noticed that in a couple video games they fake a high specularity shine on something like a sword or shield by using a simple texture of a white stripe that will move over the surface of the object. I was wondering if there was a method for accomplishing this effect in Maya. I assume what happens is that the texture of the white stripe is always facing the camera and whenever the object's surface polys move perpendicular to the camera then the white stripe will show up on them appearing to be a specular reflection. I'm assuming that this effect is accomplished the same way that reflection maps are calculated. I can go about trying to take some screenshots if I'm not making myself very clear.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.