PDA

View Full Version : problem plotting with aux effector

skater363636
12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm having some trouble plotting an animation that I want to be able to take into maya. The issue is that I have an aux effector on the left wrist when the character grabs something. The effector is keyed twice for when he grabs it and then again when he lets go. When it's on the control rig it looks just fine but when I go to plot it to the skeleton it starts acting really funky. First it seems to move and flip the hand when he goes to grab the object which wasn't to big of a problem because it only took a couple min to go in a move and rotate and then key it and it looked great. The bigger problem is when he's supposed to let go of the object he doesn't seem to and his arm stretchs way out and his forarm becomes rubbery. I've tried looking in all the plot settings and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Help if anyone can.

xcomb
12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I would suggest plot all properties, you really don't have to plot to skeleton, it works either way!
I usually don't plot to skeleton, just plot all properties, will merge all layers into base layer, even it doesn't remove layers.

skater363636
12-04-2006, 08:33 PM
thanks for the advise but I'm trying that and it's still going weird on me. It doesn't want to read the second set of keys for when he lets go of the hammer with that hand and the arm is stretching from the forarm through the body. I tryed plotting all properties a bunch of different ways and most of them made the character go heywire. I've been having a lot of trouble getting what I do in motionbuilder back into maya. I plot to skeleton and things still like to act weird in maya. Anyone know of any good tutorials on just going back into maya with all sorts of situations?

skater363636
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I was just thinking is it possible to have a correct plot to the skeleton when you have a cycle. I know that cycling is new in MB 7.5 and since the right arm is driving the object and the object is driving the effector. Could this be the problem and if it is how do I fix it?

xcomb
12-05-2006, 06:25 AM
That could be the case, since myself i had weired things happened, when i dealt with effectors. First of all i would creat a null object and then, i would either parent or constraint an object to null, then i would parent an effector to that null, so on keyframe on and off.
I have Maya 8 and MotionBuilder 7.5, done lots of character animation between both packages, no problems.
BTW in case you can save the MB scene and then open in Maya, should do the job, after all, just bake the key simulation, and you are good to go!

skater363636
12-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Well I was able to figure out a solution before I checked the post but I'm going to go back when I have the time and try your sugesstion. What I did to reslove the problem was that I retargeted the motion to the same character and then took the copy of the character that was retargeted and put that into maya with the proper animation. Now though I seem to be having a problem with being able to scale the character in maya properly. The motion is there and looks fine but the thing is that the skeleton doesn't scale the same as the character and I don't know why. I'm scaling the root node but it doesn't want to scale the same and this is only a problem because I need to parent the hammer to the hand skeleton so it moves with the character. Any idea's as to why the skeleton isn't scaling with the mesh? By the way thanks for all the help!

xcomb
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Well before doing any animation, you have to think about proper scaling in Maya first.
Then you export to MB.
Do you have HumanIK in Maya?
Well i would actually group the Root joint and scale as is.
IF that doesn't work, make sure your skin parts are not inside the hierchy of the skeleton root.
Just combine them, or what not, then scale it up or down.

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.