PDA

View Full Version : problem with photoshop

Tylak
02-13-2003, 06:04 AM
For some reason, every time I launch PS7.0 it goes through its loading phase and just when the GUI should appear, it closes. I've been running PS7.0 for a long time without any problems. I can't think of any significant change in my system since the last time PS worked. It was fine yesterday...... :shrug:

Anyway, I reinstalled PS7 3 times already (different directory, installation options, ect..) and its making no difference. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The only thing I can think of is some WinXp Pro configuration that could be causing PS to close.

Can anyone help me?!?!?

Thanks

singularity2006
02-13-2003, 08:44 AM
I've had that happen before. The closest thing I can think of is a glitch in the registry. Either that, or PS is crashing out from an overfull temp folder... clear ur temp folders and make sure u don't have your scratch disk on the same drive as photoshop, your pagefile, and OS. I never liked XP... try i on 2K. Anyhow, the only way I cleared the problem was a format... and a proper partitioning of drives to give photoshop lotsa scratch disk space...

Ian Jones
02-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Hey Singularity, could you explain some more about the paritioning for scratch disks etc...

I have been trying to get it to work, after the os is installed... which may be the problem but the help in winxp indicates that it should still be possible even when xp is all up and running. Doesn't work though, cos what is says and what actually exists are two different things... :hmm:

Could you tell me how you did it? what sizes of partitions and more importantly why? I can imagine useing a scratch disk area for photoshop, windows paging files (virtual mem), temp internet files and thats as many as I can think of that would be good to contained in its own scratch disk 'fragged' area so that the rest of the machine is relatively 'unfragged' to store files.

Maven
02-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Tylak, Are you running Win2K? if so then do this....

goto--> "c:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings"

Delete everything in this folder and then launch Photoshop again.

oh....make sure that show hidden files and folders is on. That is located in Tools-->Folder Options-->view

singularity2006
02-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Yeah, idealy this is the formatting pattern u want:

if and when u setup ur new system, always partition your hard drive if it is 4GB or larger. The reason for partitioning is that u want to create a space for the operating system onlee separate from your other stuff so that your OS remains operating without fragmented user files in between. And the HD accesses files much more efficiently when there are divides like that... sorta like organizing your clothes instead of dumbing them all into the same shelf.

I assume no1 has anything smaller than 40GB anymore. So here's the deali0.
(do in this order)
5GB for OS
2GB for scratch disk/temp files
5GB for applications
5GB for games
23GB for your files/archives/music videos.

U want at least 5GB For the OS ... if ur running windows 2000 or have a big@ss swap file. 2GB for temp files so they don't fragment the main OS drive (more nfO on how to setup your temp folder later)... 5GB just for applications... 5GB just for games. 23 for everything else.

Based on this, u can figure a good percentage of stuff for your drives. Anyh0w, by separating out major categories of stuff, your drives run much more efficiently and your files do not fragment as much when they are accessed and modified.

And as for photoshop, this is where u can set your scratch disks such that they don't conflict w/ the photoshop settings. You can use the D, 2GB for scratch, then create an overflow disk on C, and G. These settings can be created and modified if you go through photoshop's scratch disk options .... it's somewhere in the file menu > settings > something along those lines... don't remmeber off the top of my head.

anyh0w, have fun.
:wavey:

dg
02-13-2003, 09:31 PM
I had the very same problem in the past, and the problem is in the scratch disks configuration in the preferences, because PS7 don't deal to good with partitions under Windows, try to delete the Preference file:

In Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp

Restart Photoshop and probably your problem will be solved, and them ignore the scratch disks config (if you are using 1drive with partitions) or the problem will return. Adobe didn't solve this problem yet, maybe in the next update.

See Ya!

Tylak
02-13-2003, 09:58 PM
w00t :bounce:

Thanks a bunch. I think the problem started when I cleared my XP system restore funciton to save space, must have screwed up my scratch disk setup. I'm always trying to get XP to act like 98.....

I'm back to UV mapping once again! Thanks!

singularity2006
02-14-2003, 12:08 AM
PS and Win2K partitions seem to work nicely... :beer:

why do people use XP I still wonder.... :shrug:

Ian Jones
02-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Thx for the info Singularity.

I'm actually having trouble getting it to partition... it doesn't do what the help file says. So what can I do?

I have 30gigs and this is how I imagined partitioning it.

______
c:\ 5 gigs

winxp / system disk
______
e:\ 5 gigs

scratch disk
windows paging files / virtual mem
temporary internet files
______
f:\ 20 gigs

Applications
games
files
______

Problem is, that I can't get friggin winxp partitioning to work! help!

dg
02-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Use multiple drives insted of multiple partitions, there is no reason to make a partition to scratch files, If you have just one drive just make a partition for your files and one for the system.

And remember if you keep small partitions for the system, the system will run like a turtle. 5gigs for win XP is very few space, win XP+SP1 is huge, that way the system virtual memory will have very litlle space to work.

If I was you, I will use something like this:

10 gb - Drive C: (System)
20 gb - Drive D: (Data)

But the best way is to have a specific drive for the system and another to the data (files), and even better if you can use a 3rd drive as a scratch disk.

See Ya!

dg
02-14-2003, 01:39 AM
If you have just one drive you must create the partitions in the XP installation, at least the firsy one for the system, them the raw space you can make a partition in it in WinXP after the installation going to the -- Control Panel ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management, and them selecting the Disk Management.

See Ya!

singularity2006
02-14-2003, 04:53 AM
what kind of drive are u using? Anyhow, the best time to partition is upon a clean system format and install .... but agreed, you are better off installing a secondary HD for scratch disks and temp if u have space. I just partition it the way I have it because I have no more IDE and am reluctant to install RAID. With that in mind, I don't do anything too taxing so it's nice to have partitions setup to prevent fragmentation of files. The scratch disk is there for photoshop to use so it doesn't fragment other things in the process.... though it may be a tad bit slower, I don't notice much. Most people don't unless they are seriously taxing their system.

dg
02-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Win XP runs fine, but make sure that you are using NTFS as the file system and not that crap of FAT32.

And make sure that is a Win XP PRO because that Home Edition Sux a lot.

See Ya!

singularity2006
02-14-2003, 06:57 AM
XP .... XP is the byproducted of a perfectly good mango that bill gates raped until it popped.... poor mango... :shrug:

dg
02-14-2003, 06:59 AM
lol

See Ya!
:beer:

Ian Jones
02-14-2003, 01:29 PM
bleh... forget it.

The management tools dont work, as I said. Yes, it is XP pro. I have seen this problem on XP home aswell.

I don't have an extra seperate physical drive.

Are you aware that you can assign your paging files / swap files / virtual mem to a drive of your choosing? because thats what I was going to use the space for. No need to have it on the system disk.

dg
02-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Yep, I now that.

I just don't see any other advantage besides the fragmentation, increase in the performance you will not have because you have just one drive to do all the read/write stuff, just that.
But anyway seams to be a good idea to use that swap partition to prevent that the swap stuff mess with system files and stuff.

I hope that you can solve you problem soon, if don't format your system again and make sure that you creat all the partitions on the installation process, that way you don't have all that headache after the installation is done.

See Ya!

singularity2006
02-15-2003, 06:41 AM
maybe we're overlooking the obvious... you know u can't partition stuff when it's already got the OS on that drive right? So like, if u already got one partition for C, for WinXP, u cannot touch that drive .... if u already have partitions made, u cannot partition partitions that have software on them.... it will screw things up.

Of if you have partitions already available, did u erase the partition in the disk management thing before u tried to re-partition it? Once a partition has volume information written, it must be reset and erased to be used again and repartitioned....

dg
02-15-2003, 07:09 AM
That's for sure, if you don't have a raw space (without any partition created) in your drive you simply can't create another partition, thats why you need to define at least the space for the system partition in the win installation, or will won't be able to create another partition in a already partitionated space.
I'ts easier if you start all from zero, format your unit put the windows XP installation CD and create all the partitions in the installation process.

Goo Luck :)
See Ya!

Ian Jones
02-15-2003, 09:17 AM
That's exactly what I did at installation, but when it asks you to press "c" to create new partitions it friggin wouldn't let me! piece of Kerrap! :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.