PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max and Vue

jlelievre
12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone...

currently working on a scene using max 8 and Vue 5 and overall it has been a pretty good workflow until today when I ran into a snag. I have some models in max that I want to bring into my Vue scene so I have collapsed everything to edit poly and have tried to keep the scene to as few objects as possible since Vue doesn't like loads of meshes.

I have a model that has been broken down into 5 pieces in max and I am exporting it as a .3ds file and when I bring it into Vue for some reason one of the pieces moves or translates away from the position it should be in. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this problem but nothing seems to be working.

Top smaller image is the vue scene and as you can see by comparing it to the max scene, somethings are getting moved around. I even imported the same .3ds file back into max and it had no problem. :shrug:

http://www.intrinsia.net/transfers/vue_error.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue as well.

thanks in advance

LuciaK
12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Joel, in File>Options, on the first tab General Preferences, try unchecking "Resize and center imported objects" in the "Object options" section and see if that helps.

jlelievre
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Hmmm... not working. The objects are not being scaled down now but they are still offset. Would providing the .3ds file I'm using help?

videodv
12-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I know sometimes in cinema if I collapse or edit the meshes the pivot point changes for the part that I am working on, could this be the problem.

SearchingSoul
12-02-2006, 08:44 PM
ola,

(in Max) just try additionally the "Reset XForm" Modifier (in the utilities Tab) to get sure Geometry is totally reset.

SearchingSoul

jlelievre
12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... tried them all and still no worky. I managed to get everything in and working via .obj so I will use that for now. Still very odd though as what I have read on most of the forums seems to favor people using .3ds instead of .obj...

marcovth
12-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Did you try to save your max scene as a vob file?
There is a max vob export plugin.

jlelievre
12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
No I didn't try the .vob format... I was made aware after the fact. :) The .obj format seemed to work really well. I'll give it a try in Vue 6 this week and see if I have any better luck. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.