PDA

View Full Version : Texture/skin Tutorials?

Gibbz
02-13-2003, 03:48 AM
where di you learn to skin as im in need of improving my skinning and i am really finding it dificulkt to get ym skins to look like how i want it to looks, so if anone knows any tuts, it would be appreciated :D

money_bags42
02-13-2003, 08:09 AM
yeah thats a question i've been wondering about myself, i can mode/uv map, but i cant paint textures worth a danmed.. well not detailed textures atleast, here's waht i generally do tho

create a seperate base layer for the color

use the burn tool to throw in some shadows

dodge in some highlights and spec

make a new "grunge" layer - this is where id usually airbrush some dark lines, smudge it around till it looks cool, usually i got several grunge layers going , basically adds small details to make the skin look less flat

make an overlay layer and clone stamp some skins from real life photos onto it.. just gives it a more realistic look to it

that's basically what i do, but i'm definately not an expert.. im actually having a helluva frustrating time getting a nice detailed texture done for a creature im working on, i hear that exporting the light detail from 3dmax/maya onto the map and then painting on that is a good idea?? ..

moose droppings
02-13-2003, 09:48 AM
there are so many ways of going about texturing somethin. every skinner/texture artist has a different way of working, and that is not to say one of them is "correct" but some mayproduce better results than others based on the skill of the person, and or their familliarity with the process.

what i can suggest would be to start playing. here are a few methods you can try:

1. grayscale to color. start with a b/w base, making all of your forms and surface structure in black and white. Add some color layers over that set to a blending mode (assuming you are using photoshop or painter), that colors the surface. The only problem ive foudn with this method is that although you can get some sweet details it ends up not having the color variation i enjoy.

2. start with base color, burn, etc. money bags outlined that one ;)

3. go about it in a traditional painting sense - if you've never painted before this may seem wierd, but can get fun.

those are a few i can think of... not too much. here is the process of black and white to color (heh i just threw this together in 30 minutes :\)

http://bb.mooseskins.com/skin_bw.jpg
1. start with wires
2. sketch, roughly lay out darker areas
3. smudge that stuff around in a logical way - direction of shadows. start building edges
4. go in with whites, start putting highlights (not too much) and making edges pop (high contrast edges will pop, as lower ones will recede, or look smooth).
5. smudge around and worked. One thing to note is that you do NOT want any pure black, or pure white here. when you add color it could completely screw up on ya.
6. i added a color layer to start showing what it'd look like with color. the color layer was set on softlight
7. staying on the black and white base layer, i continue to work the lights and darks, and edges, making sure things appear as they should, without too much contrast. this part is the longest part. I also added 5 more color layers for the bloody bits, and other skin imprefections and pocks.
8. flattened all layers, and started working from colors sampled in the exiting image. usually should happen last, after you have all parts finished and ready to be finalized. it also helps to Save as... another file so that you dont screw up your original :) this gets to be apain though when you have 90MB skins... which i have run into a couple times. All detail is done here, because i find doing detail in color and flattened enables you to work the surface finally and put the final cool things on it.

To be quite honest, this is the first time ive done it this way. i have done the gray scale to color numerous times before, but this is the first time ive done that last step. heh i kinda like the results! :)

hopefully this is of some assistance.

You do not have to start with a gray base, at all. Say you want a green arm. You could do one of 2 things.

1. start with a green base (dark enough to add highlights), and add black and white shadows on either a soft light layer, or by soft light/hard light
brushing.
http://bb.mooseskins.com/soft.jpg
2. use a combination of this, and either a complimentary color base, analogus (heh sp?) base, or the color oposite.
http://bb.mooseskins.com/compliment.jpg

These are some things... hopefully some light is shed, if not ask questions, ill answer what i can. Im by no means a "pro," most of what ive learned as been by studying other artists, color, and traditional painting/drawing. :D

Gibbz
02-13-2003, 10:02 AM
yeah i can paint a face i find that easy, but adding colors, and nice tones not jsut a single color, also mechanical stuff i find difficult, such as adding shading on angles, or curved surfaces, ive seen video tut where some guy does it by hand, but when i do it it looks like a drawing, not all smooth and perfect like theirs, is there an easyer way of doing it?

moose droppings
02-13-2003, 10:09 AM
try using the poliginal lasso tool in photoshop, that has helped me on metal stuff. I do it by hand mostly though. to get somethin soft try using the smudge tool or a really soft airbrush, and blend colors by alt sampling like mad (eye dropper) and smoothin it out.

metal can be a whore, but it all ends up working with shadows and highlights.

as for choosing colors, i dunno. for some its a natrual thing, for others ya gotta study on what colors go together, and how to achieve certain effects with colors.

it may just be practice practice practice too.

Gibbz
02-13-2003, 10:18 AM
okie, ill mess more.. :\ still dont think ill get to far without some serious help... maybe someone would giv eme their icq and help me out a bit?

Thanks

HarlequiN
02-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, since I already have this image allready sitting ont he web I may as well add my own version of what Moose did up there.

I'm also a greyscale skinner, I find it gives far more ontrol over things toward the end of the process (especially good for when the publisher wants the colours different at the last minute, or doing those CTF skins ;))

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/images/inprogress/beast3.jpg
Full Size Version (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/images/inprogress/beast3b.jpg)

Hopefully that should be fairly self explanatory, except that unlike moose I paint on a slightly off mid-grey background with the airbrush set to normal. Airbrush black for shadows and white for highlights. I may give his method a go though as I do like the way his fleshy stuff looks.

I also wrote a tutorial on metal a long time ago. Bit out of date now really, but still a useful starting point.

You'll find it here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials.shtml)

Gibbz
02-14-2003, 12:03 AM
nice, how do you do the hair in that btw?

HarlequiN
02-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Urm, 1px paintbrush on a lowish opacity with fade on, and then do it hair by hair.

jzero
02-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Ahhhhh... thanks a bunch, Moose, Harl.. you guys just made it into my 'q3/resource' folder again...

My Wacom pen's gonna get worn out from all the use this week!

/jzero

Chaosphere
02-14-2003, 02:54 AM
Actually try and check the Texturing Surfacing section, I believe that Leigh Person ;) has some info for you I'm not from Europe, but.... CHEERS !!! :D

reaperman
02-14-2003, 04:51 AM
like you, i'm bloody useless at painting skin. then i came across this page, and now i'm still useless at it ,...( but i know why)..

http://www.planetquake.com/skindom/tutorials/

this has lots of info for beginners.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.