PDA

View Full Version : Cracked windows.

Mellwing
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi, how do make the cracks in a window appear more "visible"? My idea was to have them glowing a little bit, due to the light shining on the cracks?

This is what I got
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/Mellwing/Hallway.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/Mellwing/Hallway2.jpg
And I don have a qlue on how to to that?

Thanks!

BOSAH
12-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Does the glass have any width at all (as in not a 2d plane) ? Giving it some width will highlight the edges more (like a very thin cube instead of a plane), will also help out a lot with refraction.

Pete2003
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah, your cracks need to have some depth. Basically create a poly plane and using the split polygon tool create all your cracks how you would like them. Finally, select all the faces and extrude them.

Good luck,

Pete.

Venkman
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
putting some strategically placed lights in there to highlight the edges may help, too.

Mellwing
12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks, but I allready have depth in my windows, they are thin polycubes, I basicly used the cut edge tool and then extruded the edges to the middle, ie the edges met at the middle making the crack.
Ok, will try to light it from some other angles, but I dont want the light to show in the scene. I will try :D

ghostlake114
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
UR crack is too clear and clean... yeap, you could the area around crack could not remain like it be...
More work on model also a true shader bring crack life

BOSAH
12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
You can use light linking so the extra lights only light the glass geometry, also try changing the linked lights so they emit specular only, adding specular maps for the glass too perhaps. Also as ghostlake says try building a better shader for your glass, with texture maps; maybe go for a dirty looking glass with surface dirt or such, to add more atmosphere and also highlight the broken edges.

Mellwing
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Ok, will try your ideas, but I not that good with shadering and texturing(yet:P) so I hope i will actually make something out of it too:D

Pete2003
12-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Or you could cheat it by assigning a different shader to the cracks with a high incandescence or ambient colour than to the main window pane.

Pete.

Mellwing
12-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Or you could cheat it by assigning a different shader to the cracks with a high incandescence or ambient colour than to the main window pane.

Pete.

Smart! Ill try asap!

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.