PDA

View Full Version : Renderman For Maya and Fluids

bjoern
12-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi

Has anyone experience with Renderman and Fluids?
I want to know how much faster renders Renderman Fluids compared to MentalRay in generell.

ChristopherP
12-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Currently (in versions 1.x of RfM) Fluids are not supported, so there's no way to tell if they'd render faster or not...

Chris

Venkman
12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Fluids are not supported in RfM, and as far as I can tell not in the next version either (I haven't heard anything about fluids either way in RfM 2.0).

Particles render lightning fast in RfM in software, meaning they can be motion blurred and cast shadows. Depending on the effects you want, particles can become much more useful and realistic looking in RfM and may be able to replace fluids for some types of effects.

jude3d
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Rfm 2.0 will support fluid very well but I don't know much about the speed, renderman 13 is fast in fluid but renderman in general is not reputed to be a fast volumic render, I didn't test a lot of fluid with prman 13 at this time.

we have to wait one month to compare between renderman and mental ray.

Venkman
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Rfm 2.0 will support fluid very well but I don't know much about the speed, renderman 13 is fast in fluid but renderman in general is not reputed to be a fast volumic render, I didn't test a lot of fluid with prman 13 at this time.

we have to wait one month to compare between renderman and mental ray.

Where did you hear that fluids are supported in RfM 2.0? Is there a spec sheet somewhere I can read over and drool? All I've gotten off of the Pixar forums are multi0-threading and pont cloud ambient occlusion.

jude3d
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
because I'm using renderman 13 for months and renderman 13 support fluid geometry pixar wrote a plugins for fluid in maya and it will be available with renderman studio, I don't know much about Rfm 2.0 but I think it will too. pixar want to create a perfect supported tool for renderman with maya so. this is logical in the way of liquid for maya will support fluid too in the next version with Prman 13.
multi threading and point based indirect diffusion are not the only features of the next renderman, there are many new thing, like bake geometrie, motion blur, real camera features for best motion blur and dof, waveletnoise, new simd language for GPU programing,10x faster curve and hair rendering, 3x faster raytracing, langrandian filter for 10x faster texture and better result, a lot of improvment, it's a massive renderman release with this one.

Venkman
12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the info! I can't wait!

metalspring
04-16-2007, 01:31 AM
helo
i dont read anythink about this plug for fluid suport ...i know that some melscript export the mayafluids in rib but its not very good to see...
and for renderman studio i dont read anything in the pixar forum about the fluids suport..
becose its litle bit dificult to export the rib of the fluids; that means you wil export a boat in the ocean making dynamik waves and foams..but if that wil existe in renderman studio its wil be the 8 wonders in the word and i wil sel my proserver12 for the rstudio..lol
another thing theris a script in the advancedrenderman books so you can copy it to a text file than compil it in shader and you wil get a very good raymarcher with shadows ..

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2007, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.