PDA

View Full Version : Best Setup for the swivel angle or IK aim target

pete
02-13-2003, 02:50 AM
Hi there,
Iv'e been seting up these characters for a piece of animation we are doing for work and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a good place to put the arm's "aim targets" (you know the helper that the elbow looks at).....

I don't really want to use the standard swivel manipulator because it's a bit hidden away, and the animation helper sciprts I am using can't pick up on it...

Anyway, just seeing if anyone had any advice about this,
thanks

goosh
02-13-2003, 05:42 PM
I usually just snap it to the elbow and then move it back a bit..

I end up using a wireframe cone or something to that effect.. works fine for me..

Goosh

pete
02-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Do you snap it to the elbow so that the bones don't shift around? Thats cool, but what would you then link the aim target to.
I've tried the shoulder but thats not the greatest... In Max you cant link it to the arm but I think you can in maya.

dwalden74
02-15-2003, 05:11 PM
The only place to put the pole vector where you´re guaranteed the bones won´t rotate is at the elbow joint (for the arm), and knee joint (for the leg). Unless, of course, you can calculate the world position of the IK handle´s poleVector attr (I couldn´t, last time I tried, but there´s probably a way...). Then you can parent the PV to any node you want, or leave it in global space (what I prefer). If you parent it to moving/rotating objects, you´ll get some weird results in animation, and probably end up wasting time "compensating" the movement of its parent....

:beer:
David

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.