PDA

View Full Version : What is " | " ?

Navi
12-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Ok, so I'm learning how to use mel and I've been using a few scripts I created my self for a few months now and I just got this error today. "No object matches name: |C_chest1 //" an example of what I'm running would be: setAttr "C_chest1.translateX" 1; If I add in "|" like, setAttr "|C_chest1.translateX" 1; it would be okay again. I guess my question is why is it behaving like this and what exactly is it? I'd usually look it up but I'm not sure what it is. :S

Sick Spider
12-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, usually it indicates "longName".
For example if u have two Objs with the same name but under different groups:
blahGroup1|blahGroup2|pCube1;
blahGroup3|blahGroup4|pCube1;
In MEL it can be used as "OR" operation, when comes in double "||".

sparaig
12-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Well, usually it indicates "longName".
For example if u have two Objs with the same name but under different groups:
blahGroup1|blahGroup2|pCube1;
blahGroup3|blahGroup4|pCube1;
In MEL it can be used as "OR" operation, when comes in double "||".

I think of it as a compromise path delimiter. "/" + "\" = "|"....

;-) though maybe that IS how they came up with it...

isoparmB
12-04-2006, 02:44 AM
| is called a pipe.
It is used to indicate the full unique hierarchy path to an object, to differentiate it from another object with the same name. Normally you can't have two Dag objects with the same name exist in the same path, but they can co exist if they have different parents.

Navi
12-06-2006, 06:41 AM
For some reason maya seems to have resolved it self. I didn't make any changes to my scripts and they just started working again. Thanks for the info guys! At least I know what "|" does now. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 06:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.