PDA

View Full Version : No pixels ever!! How to?

aabed
11-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Can i render an image without having it pixeled even when i zoom in to a sample of my work in a picture format? putting in mind that i render on resolution 1024*768 and using "Production" quality on mental ray.

Jozvex
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Umm, not really no. All bitmap/raster based images will be pixelated when you zoom in on them.

Vector based images (created in programs like Flash or Illustrator) can be zoomed in on without pixelating because they're dynamically calculated using maths, rather than just a big collection of remembered pixels.

aabed
11-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Then what is the best method to get the best quality using mental ray ? i want to guarantee that i will get the best quality!

Lamster
12-01-2006, 03:00 AM
If what you mean by quality is how pixellated your image is when zoomed in. Then render your image larger. The larger the more quality. When your image is large, for example 6000 x 4500 you won't have to zoom in to see detail that you would need to using something rendered at 1024 x768.

Of course, rendering larger images takes more time and require more work to take care of details that show up under high resolution that cannot be seen at low resolution. Rendering large images also takes more memory, so sometimes your mental ray may run out of memory and you have to tweak your render settings to make it work, or render your image in many parts.

Terence

Sphere♥
12-02-2006, 01:47 AM
aabed, as Lamster said, look at digital photos, compare their resolutions and pixelated look under zoom. If you render at similar resolutions, you should get similar results.
Note that increasing your anti-aliasing also plays a big part in reducing that "pixelated" look. With the 'production' preset for mental ray, I often need to increase anti-aliasing (lower contrast threshold) to avoid "staircasing". A pixeled look could also be a problem with your textures, could be a problem with your mesh (poorly tesselated geometry).

Perhaps you could show us your problem. A picture is worth...

Edit: If you want to zoom in your images on a PC without ever seeing pixels, you just need an image viewer that does interpolation (bilinear or bicubic filtering). The same process can be applied (interpolation) when printing to avoid seeing any pixels. Below is a zoomed in image (found on web), without interpolation (left), with interpolation (right):
http://www.photoenlargement.org/images/nn.jpg http://www.photoenlargement.org/images/bc.jpg

aabed
12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for sharing thoughts but i was doing a small logo for a TV program and someone commented on the quality of my work negatively and i started to wonder if there are some quality settings for a TV AD that i dont know! Actualy i dont have a copy for the work i did so i hope i get enough help:) .

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.