PDA

View Full Version : Legends of Idhuriel (GP2x y PC)

LDraven
11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi friends, i am making alone (code and graphics) a medieval fantasy project for PC and GP2X. (PC version is 3D game and GP2X version is an isometric 2D game).

This is a screen from the pc version:

http://ldraven.grafosyakuza.com/img/blog/legendsmosaic.jpg

I have uploaded to my blog a Flythrough video with a piece of Aldhreyl map. The game is W.I.P of course and not is finished.

One friend is making the original music for this game. (listen the video music)

I hope you like it.

BLOG URL:

ldravenblog.blogspot.com (http://ldravenblog.blogspot.com/)

When i have more news i uploaded it here and to the blog of course ;-).

Thanks friends
Greetings

HughieDM
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Looks pritty good what are you useing to build every thing in
I wonder if you could lower the fog just a bit other wise I like the envirenment

pimeto
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
i dont know anything for coding, but i realy want to ask you a question.
is it hard to write an engine ?
how long it took you to do that engine we see here ?

JustChris
11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm no expert coder myself, but could try to answer part of your question. I know writing a game engine can become very difficult. It would only be as complex as you need it to be, but a well-made engine would cover the whole range of features such as input handling, memory management, usage of data trees and BSP to display scenes efficiently, etc. For one person it could take several months to do, and as far as 3D graphics go it can get math-heavy. It would be better to learn how to use a low-level graphics library (such as OpenGL) before creating your own engine.

LDraven, it looks promising so far. I like the texturing in the cottages, details like chopped wood, and the trees look really nice. I really get the sense of true medieval here...maybe one of the villages could be surrounded by trees. A lot of villages seem to be built around forest clearings.

bartosh
11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
hello:D

gr8 stuff here my friend, i like it!! excelent mood. love the textures. env looking superb.
i'm waitng for update!

cheers:applause:

pimeto
11-30-2006, 07:58 PM
is it difficult to make an engine like the one in World of warcraft ?
im asking this question because im interested in mass multi games.

does anyone think that it is possible for couple of guys to create an mass multi engine platform ?!
what is the difference bethween mass multi engine and a single player one, i mean does that it is a multiplayer engine makes it harder or easyer to create ?

ffs, i realy sorry for my terrible english.... im asking these noob questions because of an idea that we have here... we not coders as i mentioned, so these questions are something normal for guys like us :eek: :wip: ... i think...

DooFi
11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Its definitely not so easy to write a game engine or a game. My greatest respect for doing art and all the coding! Often the best programmers have no clue of what looks good and what doesnt. Combining both is imho a seldom achievement which you can be damn proud of.

to pimeto: I dont think its easier to code a multiplayer game than a singleplayer game, because you have to do all the netcode stuff and so on... You might want to use existing engines like the Ogre engine (www.ogre3d.com) or the Irrlicht Engine (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net). Irrlicht is easier to learn, as many people say. But you have to know C++ to use the engines!

LDraven
11-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi friends, first Thanks for your post.

About the engine, i am using Blitz3D for coding (very easy and good result).
For graphics i use 3dMax and Photoshop.
For put plants and flowers i am using a editor made in blitz3d that i have created.

When i have more images or videos i will put it here :-).

The main character:
http://www.grafosyakuza.com/ldraven/img/ark_pw.gif
http://www.grafosyakuza.com/ldraven/img/ark_preview.jpg

Greetings and thanks again friends.

Sorry my english. (I am spanish :-))

hakanpersson
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
nice work dude. Im impressed:)

i have a few comments though. About those trees. Those crossed planes dun look to pretty. aswell as the vegatation could be even better if size/color would vary a bit more.

really like how the grass fades to road. its better done than most games on the market. houses are cute too, but the chimneys are huge=)

cheers

/Håkan

HughieDM
11-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Your stuff is looking great
But the trees are a little distracting other wise I like the guy alot he looks great keep it up:thumbsup:

hetsch
12-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Man, this certainly looks promising! ...Which reminds me, check up on that porco rosso thread (though I have no idea of what porco rosso really is hah)

Keep up the great work!

jussing
12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Dude, that's amazing... 5 stars from me! You're doing graphics and code? That's incredible...

- Jonas

LDraven
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks a million friends for your post and comments.

Jussing: yes, i am coding and creating the graphics for the game. Thanks for the stars :-)

In a few days i will post new images with the character walking in the scene ;-).

Greetings

LDraven
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi again friends.

I have added two new screens to my Blog.

I am testing load character with animations and items for asign it.

I must scale down some plants because i have seen that they are a little big :-)

http://ldraven.grafosyakuza.com/img/blog/loi_wip2_g.jpg

http://ldraven.grafosyakuza.com/img/blog/loi_wip3_g.jpg

I hope that like you.

Greetings friends

lildragon
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
This is very very nice. You have quite the skill to be doing both at such levels! What language are you using for coding? And how do you find Blitz3D for ease of use?

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this

Cheers

HellBoy
12-02-2006, 12:39 AM
wow, this is achieved with blitz3D :eek: . I used to code with that but never got result like yours. Cool :thumbsup:

But how are you going to keep the content not usuable after you release the game, I mean all your .x, b3d files are accessible right.

5 stars from me m8 :thumbsup:

requiem2d
12-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Very nice work, keep it up!

arrangemonk
12-02-2006, 01:15 PM
there are many ways to safe the content
1. = packmacker, it creates one file, and acts like a folter for bb, (only with encryption)
2. create a cab file, and rename it (b3d can handle cab files)
and another way is to attack the content to your exe file (with recource hacker)
or create a sfx file, and a deletion file for content to extrackt the files to the temp folder. and connect this with your exe file with exe bundle

the laziest way = mole box pro *G*

(but im an evil content sniffer *G*, i can kill all these barries)

SylvanMist
12-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow it looks really great!

I agree that the planes in the trees don't look the best, but they're not horrible either. Not sure your poly budget, but maybe you can add a few more to bend them a little.

Jelmer
12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
that's looking really awesome, certainly considering you've done it on your own!
One of the things you should change, which should be pretty simple to do, add some more variations to the grass, not only the grass+flowers but some grass only, maybe some colour variations in the grass too.
Keep going, i'll be watching this.

rasmusW
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
hey LDraven!

truely impressive work here. think it's amazing that you do both graphics and coding yourself.
did you also write the story?
i'll be watching this.

-r

LDraven
12-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks a million friends for your post.

Lildragon: I think that Blit3D its very easy for use and have a good quality.

I will try use DataPacker when I finish the game.

I have worked in the base human model for the characters and i have down the polycount from 2400 to 1600 :-). And the result its the same. Then, you must add the polycount of the items that you will use.

I am writing the story at the same time that i am coding and designing :-)

Yeah!! about the grass i am making some variations in the flowers (red,white,yellow,pink,...)

In few days i will upload new screens with the character and more items loaded.

Thanks again friends and sorry my english :-)

Greetings

LDraven
12-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi again friends!!

These days I have been very busy and i have short free time.

This is a new model (World Warcraft style) that i modeled and textured yesterday in a while for "Legends of Idhuriel".
Its a vendor cart. (I will make some variations in the fabric and roof color for different carts).

I hope that like you.

When i have more information i will post it here.

Greetings!!.

http://ldraven.grafosyakuza.com/img/blog/carro_venta_g.jpg

LDraven
12-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Greetings friends!!!

I have uploaded a screeshot of the vendor cart inside the engine with other objects and level.

I hope you like it.

http://ldraven.grafosyakuza.com/img/blog/loi_wip4_g.jpg

Greetings.

paul-banister
12-17-2006, 04:11 PM
totally agree with everyone whos replied already,EXCELLENT work,any chance of seeing the vendor cart as a textured screen grab alongside the one ingame,curious to see how same/different they look.

lildragon
12-17-2006, 10:51 PM
totally agree with everyone whos replied already,EXCELLENT work,any chance of seeing the vendor cart as a textured screen grab alongside the one ingame,curious to see how same/different they look.

Above his last post, just scroll horizontally. Looking really nice :thumbsup:

Cheers

Rlloret
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi guy!

Very inpresive work! I don´t really belive that you working alone... you have a good future like a game designer!

Good Work!!

lildragon
05-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Hiya Fernando, just remembered your project here, have you stopped development on it? I sure hope not :)

Take care,

~t

LDraven
05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi again Friend!!

Sorry for not post since a long time but i got a new job in Barcelona and i have been the two first months without computer for continue the game, but two weeks ago i brought my computer here and now I can continue the game :-).

I must say that I remodeled the main character for the new script and i hope that this week i can show you. And I have changed the functions for load levels (now works better :-) )

Anyway the game is not stopped because i hope have a playable demo version for ArtFutura Show 2007 and i have the limit time in September 20th. Today i have made a planning for things that i must have every month. I hope to carry out. :-)

Thanks for remember the proyect lildragon. I am grateful.

Greetings.

LDraven
09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi again friends!!!

Sorry for not post before but i was making the demo for a spain videogames contest called ArtFutura, and yesterday i finished the demo (but not with all thing that i wanted :-( ) and the deadline is today.

Here i post 2 screens from the demo, for more information and screens, please see my blog at: http://ldravenblog.blogspot.com

I hope that you like it.

Greets friends.!!

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/393116_jvhg9/LoI_0.jpg

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/393122_pvgfi/LoI_6.jpg

utchamp
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
It looks really good!

however, in my opinion, you should really tone down that lens flare..... make the colors less distinct and just make it softer.... quite a bit softer actually... =)

nice job though, and good luck with the finishing of the project

Ahuri
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Awesome work man, love colors and style! :scream:

lildragon
09-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Really happy to see progress on this, it's a nice piece of inspiration. Really like the new screens and can't wait to see it all in motion :) Demo anytime soon?

take care,

~t

ocarian
09-21-2007, 03:20 PM
very nice work LDraven

very interesting Topic

Good luck :thumbsup:

LDraven
09-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks a million for your words friends!! this help me to continue with more illusion.

Today or tomorrow i will upload a video for you can see it in movement.

I want to add some more features in the demo that i have now and when the Videogame contest ends (at the end of october) i will upload the demo to my blog for download ;-) .

Thanks again friends.

Greets.

lildragon
09-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Looking forward to it! :) Question, so how long has this taken you to this point?

take care,

~t

akvan
09-23-2007, 05:46 AM
that is very cool and inspirational.. best wishes on the rest of your progress! :)

LDraven
09-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Hi again friends.

Thanks thanks a million for your comments and words!!

I have uploaded a video in my blog for you can see the demo in movement in real time. You must think that its a WIP demo and need more stuff and things to do and make better :-).

I hope that like you. you can see it here:

http://ldravenblog.blogspot.com

Lildragon: i remade the code and a lot of graphics at the begining of the year and all its about 6-8 months more or less. I dont know exactly. (of course in my free time, when i arrive to home after the work :-( hehe).

utchamp
09-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Looks AWESOME!!

Is there any chance that it will be released in english also? just a thought.!

I really like it! The only thing is that everyones cloths are so plain... to make your game stand out a little, try to make everyone a little more memorable.... spice up the clothing, give them a wild hair cut. etc.

the scenery is very very nice.!

good job!

Ahuri
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Damn it's very nice, can't wait to try it!

LDraven
09-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi again friends.

I have uploaded some new screens with some updates:

- I have made a better flare effect. I like more now. (thansk for the comments about it)

- I have made a new vegatation system, works and looks better.

- I remade the run animation, now i like more,before dont like me very much.

- And solve some demo bugs and added more things......

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/411866_q0vwe/leg_prev2.jpg

More screens are in the blog of my signature.

I hope that like you.

Ancient-Pig
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks pretty cool, man :)

I love the vibrancy of the colors

LDraven
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi friends i only want say you that Legends of Idhuriel won the "Best Graphics Award" in the -Art Futura Videogames Show- here in Spain.

I hope leave a demo for december.

Greets guys and thanks!!.

LDraven
11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
repeat post :-(

Matroskin
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Congrats man, it could not be otherwise ;) Ur suff rocks!

lildragon
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Hiya LDraven, just reviving this thread to see if you've progressed. It just crossed my mind today :)

Take care,

~t

LDraven
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi lildragon, first, thanks a million for your interest in the game!!.

Yeah the project is still alive :-) but now i am making a image for the Expose 6 call of entries and i have stoped the game.

2 weeks ago i worked in a new part of code for extract information from excel tables and with it, make more easy the programming of the game (only edit a table for add items to a character or change something :-) ).

When i have something new about the game i will put it here of course.

Thanks again friend.

Greets.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.