PDA

View Full Version : MangaStyle - Lookin' for shading examples/tutorials

schmu_20mol
03-23-2002, 07:44 AM
While doin' some textures I got the idea of doin' some pics, preferabbly in manga like style...after trying around I stuck now 'coz I don't really get it how to do that special kind of shading style...

does anyone know some good tut or some examples?

thx all ;)

Sangotten
03-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Hmmm...

Manga style shading huh? Well you can have very basic shading such as displayed here (http://www.animeshrine.com/gallery.php?series=tenchimuyo&image=29) or the more complex and much more time taking shading technics like this one (http://www.animeshrine.com/gallery.php?series=artist_masamuneshirow&image=19). It depends on what you had in mind but overall you might just want to look for a lot of reference material because there are so few real good tutorials out there which are hard to find. Go to www.animeshrine.com and take a look at their big gallery full with all kinds of manga/anime images!

Goodluck!

schmu_20mol
03-25-2002, 05:22 PM
thx man...checkin' out the galleries ...but i think your first 'this one' link is not really anime ;)

Sangotten
03-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Jak! that is discusting!!! For crying out loud, there are some sick people in this world....:shame:
I tried to post someting from Hyung-Tae Kim...:annoyed: !!! Here is the right link to his site... www.nitty.beramode.nu this guy makes really cool work! I also found a tutorial site that also contains a shading tutorial, http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/index.html I haven't check it for myself so I don't know if it is any good!

Succes!

schmu_20mol
03-26-2002, 06:44 PM
thx again Sangotten ;) ...checked that stuff...some real nice work ;)

alchoi
03-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Hey man ... you might want to try this little technique ... kinda stumbled on it by accident ...

Colour up your character with the base colours that you like in either photoshop or painter ... then duplicate
your paint layer and paste it over top.

Darken this layer and tweak the colour balues, brightness saturation, etc. ... this'll be your shadow layer ... then go in
with an eraser tool and start taking out those areas that light hits ....

Keep your outline layer separate, so you can use self-trace lines for certain touches ... but it's a quick and easy way to get that cartoony look ...

Anime in the 80s had two shadow levels and two highlight levels (which I think looks pretty shitty) ... but
Gainax uses this technique very well ... so it's just a matter of tweaking and playing with it ...

This dude was done in a hurry using this technique ... I had to meet a deadline ... but you can see that
it worked out not too shabby ...

Anyway, give it a shot ...

Cheers

BDismukes
03-30-2002, 08:33 AM
Adjustment layers in Photoshop can acheive the same result. You can use the levels, curves, hue/saturation, color balance and the other adjustments I can't remember right now as if you were painting with them. This comes in handy when there is a complex texture that needs shadows added to it. But, like just about everything in Photoshop, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Flaviosen
03-31-2002, 02:55 AM
take a look at www.polykarbon.com ...they have an exellent manga forum...love the pic

alchoi
03-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Damn ... some nice stuff at the polykarbon site ...

Definitely a good recommendation ...

Flaviosen
03-31-2002, 02:39 PM
yea.....polykarbon is a great site...also check out theur bbs...in there u can find links (if u look) to extremly good tuts....im trying to learn to draw...im learning from poly

schmu_20mol
03-31-2002, 04:30 PM
thx again all ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.