PDA

View Full Version : Satyr Character. Single Solid Mesh question

Ikosan
11-29-2006, 04:09 PM
just a quick post to ask a question i'm getting mixed advice about. I'm getting told that game characters have to be a single solid mesh, with everything welded in. Other people are telling me i can attach objects and just keep them as elements. I've tried welding the ear rings in place but that creates pretty nasty topology around the rings and pretty bad shading.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/Ikosansteve/satyrfaceside.jpg
It looks a lot better like this where they are just attached as seperate elements. Any advice on this? Do games characters really have to be a solid mesh to work in a game engine?

eirenicon
11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Seperate elements are usually fine. It depends on the game engine, but anything remotely recent (and not indie) can handle it. If you're working on a portfolio piece without a specific engine in mind, don't worry about it.

Neil
11-29-2006, 09:43 PM
if you're using max you can "attach" the rings to the topology, but still have control over texturing/unwrapping the elements separately.
I also wouldn't worry about attaching/non-attaching, this looks like a portfolio piece to me which shouldn't matter since you can't tell from the final render.

ts-falcon
11-30-2006, 03:23 AM
yea I agress, using seperate pieces of mesh can not only be easier, it can usually be far more efficient. with most modern engines, it doesnt matter, so by doing o you can usually cram in more detail overall.
Cheers mate

ArchangelTalon
11-30-2006, 04:01 AM
The general rule is not to use intersecting geometry on areas where the mesh will deform to any great extent, that's probably going to lead to ugly problems at extremes of motion (but it's still doable).

But for your earrings there, I'd say use it. Infact I'd even recommend against making it one whole mesh.

Ikosan
12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I knew my lecturers were just making me to do extra work....

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.