PDA

View Full Version : 20Min a frame!!

NiGMa
11-29-2006, 05:35 AM
What would cause this? Its kinda impractical for an animation?

my settings are set on User a little under broadcast quality AA is systematic 4x4.

its 800,000,000 polygons. Who can actually use Vue like this in production?

when all render options is disabled and turned to minimum, just for testing purposes, it doesn't get that fast either, all its rendering are polygons, lightwave would speed through these frames in seconds. All lights are turned off as well as atmosphere things like clouds and fog..

What render times per frame are you guys experiencing for your animations?

HannesJ
11-29-2006, 02:53 PM
That depends on the content of your scene. 20 minutes per frame for 800 millions of polygons and almost the broadcast settings are fast.
Btw what's the size of your render?
Maybe you can show a render to see what your scene looks like.

Greetings
Hannes

richcz3
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
You don't mention which version you are using 5 or 6.

Just do a search. I posted a method for reducing render times here on CGTalk on methods to reduce render times in Vue5 Inf. These settings will most likely still apply to 6 Inf. 6 for the most part renders some scenes faster than 5.

Kevin Sanderson
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Rich is correct. Also, you have more flexibility in Vue 6i to adjust Anti Alias (try turning the quality threshold settings closer to faster. If you have any other effects (e.g. radiosity) going you can try bringing that down as well (though it might get blocky with radiosity turned down). Experiment on a single frame and see what happens. Also, you'll see a big increase in speed sometimes if you only render visible layers.

Some folks render out much larger res sizes with no anti-aliasing and then batch resize those smaller to video sizes..there's a time savings, sometimes quite big.

Render times do vary...it bases it on how it's going, rendering from bottom to top...an example recently given on the e-on forum by Eric Holbrook: if you have grass and a blue sky...you'll see a very large render time as it's anticipating lots of work based on the grass...but then it will hit the sky and fly though that (unless there are clouds). You have to render some sample frames to get a more accurate idea of how long it really takes.

The key is to experiment. And then get yourself a small render farm going if it's still taking too long.

NiGMa
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. We are running 6, which to cut the render times in half for this scene, but its still slow.. I just wish I had a render farm, haha. I'm thinking maybe its got somthing to do with my imported lightwave objects, which are quite a few polygons, the actual base terrain for the whole scene is a imported model too, next time I think I'll make a Vue terrain, but you cannot model roads, with detailed kurbs, parking spaces just by displacing a terrain with a texture map.

Kevin Sanderson
11-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Ahhh... look how Chip Walters does it.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altTerrainBuilder/default.htm

There are some free tutes there explaining how to do some pretty amazing stuff in Vue with terrains.

anevsky
12-02-2006, 05:33 PM
its 800,000,000 polygons.
lightwave would speed through these frames in seconds.

you were rendering 800,000,000 polys in Lightwave - in seconds?

NiGMa
12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
you were rendering 800,000,000 polys in Lightwave - in seconds?

No, but maybe with instances? which I dont have so no... I guess I exaggerated, sometimes I don't see the extra 3 0's which only makes it millions of polys, not simply hundreds of thousands.

Still I think it could be faster, haha, they're not receiving any light, no shadows, no textures, no ref, no trans.. you know... so maybe.. but i suppose i could never load 800,000,000 polys in to lightwave, let alone render it, =)

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.