PDA

View Full Version : robot basketball 10-20second wip animation - crits please?

anthonymcgrath
11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey guys can you take a look at the animation test I did below for me and give me some crits? Its a 20second spot I wanna make with a robot basketball player. Any questions n comments please share em :) sorry about the naff youtube quality - I'm a net muppet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W28n9PRbGzI

heres a coupla renders below (the animation above isn't rendered out). Quite like the skin shading on the head so might add that to the entire body if I can get a bit of transparency in it too to show the underlying mechanical structure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/anthonymcgrath/my_artwork/rb_frm03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/anthonymcgrath/my_artwork/rb_frm01.jpg

anthonymcgrath
11-29-2006, 08:39 AM
no comments or thoughts on the animation at all? Is it that bad?

anthonymcgrath
11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
oh come on guys - someone do us the favour of sparing me a few thoughts, 30+ views and no-one has owt to say. Is it really that naff?

heres the latest version - all rendered (tho needs some lighting tweaks) - some of the edits are a bit strange. Feel free to comment on anything in it but someone put something please... I feel like I'm all alone on this site most times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVNai6Daqw

michelbidart
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay, here's my crit. I think you should exaggerate a little more on the ball bounces (it feels too linear, rather than the ball hitting the ground fast then slowing down as it moves up). I like the body animation, but your timing seems a little flat. Try bringing the keys closer together in some moments to speed the movement up. The run is a little stiff on the beginning, i don't know why (I can't really look at it frame by frame on Youtube). The winding up for the jump is good. But he lands too soft after the dunk. It feels like he is floating down. And I'd make him either grab the ball with both hands right before he starts running or make him bounce the ball one last time. I felt like it wasn't supposed to stick to his hand the way it did. I'd cross it over between the legs when he runs, just to spice things up.

I don't like the camerawork, mostly because you lose parts of the movement. I'd suggest doing a shot as if it was a slam dunk competition. Kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRiIRv6ae0
I really like the one at 0:57 seconds into that video.

I hope it helped.

Cheers

anthonymcgrath
11-30-2006, 03:13 PM
thats great crit michel thanks alot :) I've been looking at it quite a bit and thinking - cant get whats going wrong but your right on the money with those notes. I took a look at the cam shot on youtube you mentioned - thats a really cool angle and it might be worth adding in a flare pose/tomahawk motion prior to him dunking.

I think I dont waste any time once he's got the ball in his mitt - I'm too busy getting him to do the motions and not adding enough pause action in there to allow you to see what he just done!

yeah the extra bounce prior to dunking would really help too.

I did actually try speeding up the renders by 20% and they make all the difference to the sequence so I'll go back and re-tweak it :) gotta do my animation test for the challenge on this site firstly tho eek!

anthonymcgrath
11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
btw michel in my first post theres a link to the playblast animation which is much more observational - dunno if you seen that one at all?

Sky
11-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey there, I think the animation is good. Overall its a good piece, it just needs some tweaks here and there. I'll just backup what michelbidart said. It's really hard to see the action at the end because of the camera angle. I like the shot of his fancy footwork, but I'd like to see more of the dunk and more of the animation like in your first video. There were some great camera angles in the video he posted, maybe something like that. Aslo, you already mentioned the lighting. But it does need a little bit of tweaking. Which can be a pain, I know. And I'd add a bit more squash and stretch to the ball to really give it weight and bounce. It may already have that, but I can't go frame by frame in youtube to really tell. It's pretty good! Now just go add the finishing touches! :thumbsup:

noobie
11-30-2006, 06:46 PM
the motions look okay its your timing thats messed up its too slow everythings too linear even the ball bounce seems to float all the way through i dont know what software youre using but there should be curve where u can edit it to give the ball bounce a sense of gravity... after the dunk since it is a dunk and takes alot of energy id think his feet would follow through faster it just seems to slowly wiggle around and float...same as the other guys said u need an extra bounce before the dunk and u needa exagerate the anticipation of the jump it barely seems like hes trying to dunk the ball.. also making the hoop higher itself and making him jump higher might make it look better

anthonymcgrath
12-01-2006, 08:37 AM
hi Guys
thanks for the notes n crits

sky:
yep - totally agree - got a bit carried away with the camera work lol! I'll do a much wider shot on the run and simplify the edit.

noobie:
yeah the whole thing does feel a bit slow - I were trying to add some weight to his character him bein a robot n all but Its not working too well so I'll speed it all up an a touch of squash n stretch on the ball may help too. I'll lift the hoop more too to help him jump higher :)

thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2006, 08:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.