PDA

View Full Version : Title sequence overhaul...

Banks
11-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey all,

I've begun giving my demo reel a complete overhaul and where better to start than at the begining. With that being said please take a look at my new title sequence and let me know what you think. C&C's are always welcome...

http://jps3d.com/Movies/title_v1.mov 2Mb

Thanks

jussing
11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Great character animation! :thumbsup:

I will say two things, though...

Usually it's not considered proper to spend much time on the opening titles of your name, in a reel.... I know, I know, we all want to make something out of it, and I'm guilty too. :) And yours is a fun angle, and not too long after all....
I don't quite get the timing of his "getting scared". He's looking at the appearing "smith", and a second later he jumps away, scared. I think his reaction is either too fast or too slow....

Being so fast, it makes his "looking at smith" look like an anticipation for running away, which makes it look like he's planning to run away. Which means it doesn't look like he's scared. And we aren't given enough time to register that he's looking at the letters, we have to go frame-by-frame to see it.

I see two options:
If you want him to look at "Smith" first, then have him hold that pose for a while longer, startled, but not running scared. Then when the rest of the letters come flying in, he runs away, scared.
Have the word "Smith" appear more sudden, and then have him immediately startled, jumping in the air, waving his arms, and then run out.

Just my two cents. But really, really good character animation, where's the rest of the reel?

Cheers,
- Jonas

Banks
12-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Jonas,

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. It's nice to have a fresh set of eyes to look over my work. I'm going to go back in and try and speed up his reaction and have him jump up and run off as apposed to pausing to look at the name. Stay tuned for updates...

As for my reel, you can watch it here: http://www.jps3d.com/demo_v3.htm

I wanted to focus on my current WIP in this thread but I'd love to hear anyones input on my reel. Please keep in mind I'm in the process of giving my entire reel a face lift (and tummy tuck). I'd love to get an idea of what I should incorporate to build a really solid character reel.

-Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2006, 04:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.