PDA

View Full Version : is it possible?

AndreKling
11-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi, im not a programmer, so thats y i came here to ask some advices before i do something really stupid.
Today i had a crazy idea, i saw some sites about augmented reality, and it totally blew my mind. Its something sooo cool that i totally wished to know how to program to work with it, unfortunatly this is something almost impossible to happen...
After some research i came out with an idea of building a virtual cintiq. Let me explain a litle better, for what i understood, augmented reality is the ability of interacting virtual images into the real world through a video device ( a web cam for instance ). The web cam track some predifined image an change it by the virtual image... very very cool, so i thought: If i put the images on my basic tablet, i could use AR to show on it what my monitor is displaying, pretty much like what a LCD monitor would do, but as a virtual monitor.
So the question is: is it possible to program a AR program that projects on the tracked image a copy of the monitor screen?
If it is possible, it could be a different aproach to something like a cintiq, the most expencive device would be a VR goggles ( there is some for around 600$ ) and a web cam 20$.

Ok, i hope its understandable.
Andre Kling David

UrbanFuturistic
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Theoretically, yes. Not convinced it'd be very good though, or comfortable to wear. Plus the amount of processing power required for the realtime tracking would require you to have two computers, one for the illustration software and one to do all the tracking and image stretching.

AndreKling
11-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I wonder if the processing power would be that high, since i saw some AR one on cell phones, besides i could buy a used computer just to handel the tracking... If it would be confortable, thats a very good question, but i think the advantage of being able to look what you are drawing would be worth it.
question is, how hard would be to do something like this?

Ian Jones
11-28-2006, 02:33 AM
What are you like with maths?

AndreKling
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Really really bad ( ahasme )... would love to learn how to program though.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.