PDA

View Full Version : MISSS with transparency? possible?

anthonymcgrath
11-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm using the misss skin shader on my current character and getting some nice results but I have some objects behind the 'skin' surface that I would like to kind of 'see' through the skin if thats possible?

I was thinking either shadows from the objects casting onto the back face of the skin surface or a direct transparency if possible. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

cheers
ant

Dromond
11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Currently I happen to be pondering the exact same question. Unfortunately I don't have the answer yet. Can anyone help us out here?

delarge
11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
something like this will work. I just plugged the misss_fast_skin into the value of the mib_opacity node and feed the opacity attribute with some ramp+noise. one could also use the mix8layer from francesca...

cheers
rob

anthonymcgrath
11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
great stuff delarge - thanks alot :D
I was gonna drive the transparency of my skin surface with a sampler info/ramp setup.

however is it possible to drive the transparency on a lights proximity to the surface?

delarge
11-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I guess so. It should be possible to evaluate the distance to a light by using distanceBetween node. you could also come up with an additional surfaceLuminance node to make the object only transparent depending on the distance and illumination...

cheers
rob

Dromond
11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info delarge!

However, I must be doing something wrong. I have almost exactly the same setup, except that I'm putting a black and white projection texture into the mib_opacity node. I then have mib_opacity1.outvalue connected to the miMaterialShader of the shading group. Is this correct? I'm getting black where there should be true transparency. The same thing happens when I use JS_Multilayers.

Edit: Looks like I just answered my own question. I had my refraction rays turned down to 0 in Render Settings. It looks like that prevents transparency from rendering properly. I guess that makes sense now that I think about it.

cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.