PDA

View Full Version : omg this is fustrating

guitarplayer6516
11-26-2006, 10:47 PM
hey guys, im having alot of trouble with all my ball rigs in maya. (lieutenant dan, moom with his torso deleted, and ballcharacter)
-first, when i lower the torso, the feet are supposed to stay in place and be flat like they are standing on the ground. now all of a sudden, when i move their body down, their feet rotate on their heels and the feet point down. like this (http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5946/screenhunter1wp3.jpg) as opposed to this (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1997/screenhunter2qx6.jpg) however, when i scrub through the timeline, the feet correct themselves. it never used to do this. why now and how do i fix this?

-second, when i block out a walk cycle for example, i do everything normal and pose every key nice and easy. when i play it (still in block mode) it runs through just fine. when i switch to spline mode, however, the legs start moving in all crazy directions and the keys rearrange themselves. (not like move to another keyframe, but the positions are completely different than what i put) also, somethimes it will do it whether or not i switch to spline or stepped (block mode) this is really aggravating and is preventing me from animating anything.

please help in any way possible

thankyou

moose2k1
11-27-2006, 03:16 AM
1. Feet rotating like that could be your IK settings on those legs. Make it "sticky" see if that fixes it

2. try blocking linear, not stepped. You are confusing how you are keying your poses, thats why you get the sliding. You have to have holds on the feet for example, and you are not doing that, although it looks that way when flat. Just block out in linear and it will make sense, then you can try going backwards to flat if you wanted.

guitarplayer6516
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
hey, where can i find the sticky option? or how do i make it sticky? and what do you mean by holds on the feet. (i am using lieutenant dan in particular at the moment)

thanks for the help

moose2k1
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi. First, make sure you are using an ikRPsolver. You will need this type of IK in order to create a knee pole vector.

Now, what could be happening with your rig is that something is off in the ik's on the foot.

It should be an IK handle from:

Hip to Ankle
Ankle to Ball
Toe to Ball

Be sure to select "sticky". You can choose the type of ikHandle and its attributes when you click on the ikHandle icon (from the Animation tab).

I created two quick legs for you in the file attached. Grab the control curve around the root and you'll see the bad one does what you are experiencing.

If you already have foot rolls and such setup, it will not effect your rig if you simply delete your ik's and reset that up. Should be a quick 1 minute fix.

moose2k1
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
the feet are sliding because you are not holding them in the same pose.

If on frame 1 his feet are at point A, and in frame 60 you want them at point B, by doing stepped tangents, it will look like his feet are at pint A from frame 1 through 59. You need to place a key somewhere in the middle to hold his feet. So lets say, you want to hold his feet at point A from frame 1 to frame 45, then you need two keyframes. One at frame 1, one at frame 45. Then on frame 60 you can have the point B feet.

By doing stepped, both cases will look the same, but when you get off stepped and start to see the transition, one case will give you sliding feet, one will give you holds. Thats why I suggest at first to block out in linear cause you will immediatly see the inbetween poses.

guitarplayer6516
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
hey, thanks for the replys and example. very helpful. The problem i am having with the specific rig (lieutenant dan. you should download it to see what i am talking about) i cant select anything except for the various controls. in other words, nothing is editable (cant select geometry or bones/joints) mabey if you took a look at it you could help with that (btw there arent any layers either) i see what you mean about the linear vs stepped methods. thanks for the help once again

moose2k1
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
hey, that character doesn't use ikhandles, it uses a series of parent constraints. But the feet don't rotate like you showed in your snapshot.

Anyhow, you can see the joints now and select geometry. Go ahead and grab the file attached in this post.

Good Luck.

guitarplayer6516
11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
ah man thats awesome. i can select everything now, but the feet still rotate for me...could i have changed a setting or something? or is there a place in the attribute editor that i can change the joints to sticky?

moose2k1
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
are you grabbing the root contorl and moving it down? that roates the feet for you?

If not, how are you getting the feet to rotate?

guitarplayer6516
11-28-2006, 10:14 PM
i select the body (the ball thing) and move the y axis down and the feet just rotate. it never used to do that before until a while ago.

moose2k1
11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
it works fine for me. The same file I gave you.

Try deleting your preferences. Make a copy of the preference file and put it somewhere safe in case you want to get something from it (like how you setup your timeline, displays, colors, etc)

guitarplayer6516
11-29-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah i reverted to defaul (window>settings/preferences>edit>revert to default) or something like that and the problem isnt fixed. i closed and reopened maya too. still no change

moose2k1
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM
thats not the same thing as deleting it. Find your prefernece file, usually at:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents\maya\7.0\prefs

delete userPrefs.mel

Make sure your Maya is closed first. When you reload Maya, should create a new pref file automatically for you.

noobie
11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
hmm still kinda knew to rigging in Maya but in softimage we added a null to act as an upvector for the feets and placed the nulls below the feet that way it was always flat on the ground even when u moved the body control object i dunno if u can do something like that in maya because ive just recently started trying to learn rigging in maya so if u know of something like this being possible u might wanna give it a try... by the way i believe after creating the foot upvector nulls ud make it the child of the foot bone..

moose2k1
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
there are plenty of ways in Maya to achieve this. Most notably a parent constrant on the toe and ball joint will keep that part of the foot flat to the ground. You can create a locator or a joint and keep that on the ground.

But the problem guitarplayer has is with his Maya App, not the rig. I downloaded that rig and the legs/feet are fine....

noobie
11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
yep i tested the rig too the feets are fine when i moved the ball main control too although... moose u happen to know what null is controll the foot bend all those dam objects seem to just be bones i cant seem to find the foot bend control lol just wanted to test the rig further

hmmm... nvm seems like u just gotta pull the foot control far enuf to bend the feet?

guitarplayer6516
11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
omg lol i did that and it didnt change anything. oh well, a while back, i built a rig just like the ones in animation mentor (ball character rig) and have all the joints but i never got to learning how to do the ik and controlls. if you know how to do that, could you do that for me if it doesnt take too long? im sure the whole animation community would like a rig like that too. if not, thats fine. just ask and i'll send you the file.

guitarplayer6516
11-30-2006, 09:32 PM
omg lol i did that and it didnt change anything. oh well, a while back, i built a rig just like the ones in animation mentor (ball character rig) and have all the joints but i never got to learning how to do the ik and controlls. if you know how to do that, could you do that for me if it doesnt take too long? im sure the whole animation community would like a rig like that too. if not, thats fine. just ask and i'll send you the file.

again, thanks for all the very kind patience with my problem.

moose2k1
12-01-2006, 01:06 AM
take my file, the one in my previous post, and try it on another computer, see if the legs work there.

I really don't have that much time to rig! That takes some time =)

What do you need exactly? You trying to setup an IK FK switch?

guitarplayer6516
12-01-2006, 09:16 PM
i just need some ik done on the legs. all the joints are there, i just need to have some controls on the rig and to be able to use it now. (think of it as an inactive puppet. everythings there, just needs the strings to move it with)

moose2k1
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
um, go ahead and email it to me: moose2k1@yahoo.com. I can take a look and see what if I can set some things up for you real quick.

guitarplayer6516
12-02-2006, 02:05 PM
alright i sent it.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.