PDA

View Full Version : Aspect Ratio: squashed

Endymon
11-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys,
I need to render out for D1/DV PAL Widescreen (720x576) 16:9 (1,422) .

In Maya 8.0 I set the pixel ratio specifically at: 1,422 and render out.
When I import the image in After Effects it displays as having an aspect ratio of 1,07.

Screenshots are here:
http://www.freakyworld.com/temp/strange_ratio.jpg

Is there some kind of hidden setting that overrides this ?
What am I missing here ? Why are not the images receiving a correct aspect ratio ?

Thanks a lot for any advice !

Patrik

earlyworm
11-26-2006, 10:01 AM
AFX looks at the resolution of the the image and assumes it's PAL footage but doesn't know whether it's 4:3 or 16:9 PAL footage so it defaults to a 4:3 pixel aspect ratio (PAR) of 1.07 (or whatever it is).

Use 'Interpret Footage' (RMB on the footage in the media bin) to tell AFX that the sequence has a PAR of 1.4222.

If you get stuck, have a look through the docs, it explains all about Aspect Ratios and Non-square pixels.

Endymon
11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks mate !!

I will just manually force AFX to interpret the footage.

I thought it was Maya rendering playing tricks on me.
Creating a still image in Photoshop with PAR of 1.422 - AFX detects this correctly as 1,42 (TIFF image)

So somehow AFX is able to detect this with other applications than Maya. This means that the PAR should be stored in the TIFF file somewhere. But yeah this is a whole other discussion.

Anyways, now I know it's not Maya and out of interest going to dig up more info...

Patrik

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.