PDA

View Full Version : New Rig Tutes - facial bones - shoulder def

andrewsilke
02-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi everyone, just thought I'd let you know that we have some new Maya rigging tutes up at
www.cane-toad.com (http://www.cane-toad.com/)

The first details how we used a "bones facial system" (http://www.cane-toad.com/tuteRig_Facial.htm) in our short film. We used about 80 joints in the face.

The second shows how we approached "shoulder deformation" (http://www.cane-toad.com/tuteRig_Shoulder.htm) for the characters.

hope they can be of some use
Andrew Silke

spakman
02-13-2003, 11:36 PM
:beer:

Doogie
02-14-2003, 01:52 AM
Mad props! :applause:

Thanks so much for sharing :beer:

tonygib
02-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Cool man, thanks for that. Even though I work in max, I am sure I can translate all of that across. :bounce:

CharacterTD
02-18-2003, 05:49 AM
it's cool!!! thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

dsepshn
02-20-2003, 01:55 AM
What happen to the site????????

goosh
02-20-2003, 01:57 AM
looks like too much traffic and the ISP didn't like it too much :)

You got to love those ISPs

:(

G

Octagon
02-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by goosh
looks like too much traffic and the ISP didn't like it too much :)

You got to love those ISPs

:(

G

yep
so could someone who actually saw the site before it broke explain a bit about the concept? i'd love to hear about that and everyone seems to have his/her best way for doing facial stuff.

andrewsilke
02-24-2003, 09:21 AM
hi guys, the ISP has taken the site down because of a billing error - their mistake... yeah I'm pretty pissed! Anyway it should be back up pretty soon, I've just gotta redo some ip stuff and re upload the site from a 56k. So just check it in a couple of days and all should be well again. I apologize for the downtime.

cheers
Andrew
www.cane-toad.com

S E D A H
02-27-2003, 03:30 AM
damm lm waiting for this tu l see it forgot to save it.........

CharacterTD
02-27-2003, 10:58 AM
hop you can fix you web as soon as :):bounce:

andrewsilke
03-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Ok www.cane-toad.com is finally up again... phew! All should be fine now. :hmm:

cheers
Andrew

Octagon
03-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by andrewsilke
Ok www.cane-toad.com is finally up again... phew! All should be fine now. :hmm:

cheers
Andrew

wow, great site you have there! congrats!

the tutorial section is really well written and i find your approach to facial anim very appealing.

in fact i tried building a bone system combinded with shapes myself but didn't finish it (it took me longer than i though and ran out of time :(

how long did it take you two guys to finish all the setting-up for the facial anim, defining all the bones and relation and modeling detail blendshapes?

and have you thought about automating / scripting the creation of the facial setup so that you can use it for future projects?
using bones as the general means to to facial anim has an advantage over shapes that you could automate setting up, even weighting to some points and copy the setup to different characters. so it might be worthwile writing such a system.

as you point out on your website blendshapes work quite well for faces where linear skin movement isnt that obvious and not so well for your specific character due to the extreme facial proportions. you have really made the best choice going for joint / cluster type facial animation here :thumbsup: (

i also watched the trailer and found the facial anim quite impressive. great work! sadly i didn't understand the character speaking so much but that's just me and by bad english ;))

again :applause:

matthias

rebo
03-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Working with IK/FK switch on the arms
It’s possible to link this set-up into the standard IK/FK switch (3 skeleton) arm set-up. For those of you who are familiar with that set-up we actually made a 4th skeleton which we called “the bind skeleton” which was fed information from the skeleton that switches between the IK/FK. This was easiest for us.

So we’d have the
- IK arm
- FK arm
- Switch arm (this one switches between the IK arm and FK)
- Bind arm (has the extra bicep and forearm joints. It is fed information from the switch arm).

What advantages did you have from using a 4 skeleton setup as apposed to 3 skeleton setup?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.