PDA

View Full Version : ZScanner 700- First Self Positioning, Real Time Surfacing, 3d Laser Scanner

RobertoOrtiz
11-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Rob note: I read about these people and I tought you guys might be interested..

Quote :
"The ZScanner 700 brings needed speed, ease-of-use and unprecedented versatility to 3D Scanning. Scan any object in the tightest spaces and do it in real-time with one continuous scan.

Simply connect the system to your laptop with FireWire™. Add the reflective targets to the object. Then quickly calibrate and start scanning within minutes. The ZScan™ software creates a polygon mesh of the object's surface in real-time — so you can see what has and has not been scanned as you go. Increase the scan resolution on the fly to scan the tightest spaces or most detailed areas.

Conventional scanners require fixed-position tripods, bulky mechanical arms, or external positioning devices that must be within the line of sight of the target surface. So hard-to-reach objects are nearly impossible to scan and extensive post-processing is needed to stitch multiple scans into one.

The ZScanner 700 captures a complete scan all at once — with all the mobility that comes with a handheld device"

http://www.zcorp.com/products/zscanner700.asp?ID=1

-R

DZL
11-25-2006, 04:12 PM
seems promising; but i have questions about the usability of the .stl mesh that is created from the scan -

and the 40K pricetag means that a single user couldn't afford it -

DeadlyFreeze
11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
For 40,000 grand you would expect it could properly scan a flat surface but after watching that video I can say that dosent seem so.

Kabab
11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
40K is pretty cheap is has a reasonable tolerance and its great for those hard to reach automotive parts.

Bullit
11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Another for $2500

http://prototypemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=2

While some might consider it gauche to talk about cash, the fact is that what Next Engine’s device is all about is dramatically lowering the cost of physical geometry capture. Yes, there are systems out there that can capture the data more accurately and perhaps even more quickly, but these are quite costly systems and there’s certainly nothing in this price bracket at present. Industry pundits and technologists alike are keen on the term Disruptive Technology, which is when a technology changes a market niche in an instant. This is usually through new functionality or more commonly, with the double whammy of easier-to-use technology combined with dramatically lower cost of adoption – this is when a technology truly becomes ‘A Product’ and typically will achieve mass market – think iPod and the wrist watch. While I’m not entirely convinced yet that NextEngine has achieved this ‘holy grail’, the Desktop 3D Scanner is an ultra impressive device that can assist with the product development process, and, as with all such systems, with a little effort to learn the dos and don’ts, can provide you with usable results – for whatever specific task you’re looking at. Yes, it has limitations in terms of accuracy and I feel the texture capture is a slight misnomer (within an MCAD context), but the plain and simple fact is that this product costs a shade more than a decent workstation and that, ladies and gentlemen, is an incredible thing. To be honest, I’m loath to package this thing back up and send it on its way back to California and perhaps that’s the best compliment I can give Next Engine. The Desktop 3D scanner is simply, a very useful device to have as part of your product development toolkit and the fact that it’s very affordable means that many more users can adopt this technology than has previously been possible.

Kabab
11-27-2006, 01:30 AM
The tolerance on that is way to loose for any engineering application would be okay for DCC...

safe05
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
It looks surprisingly similar to the HandyScan, which is actually a pretty nice hand held scanner. You do have to prep the object with the reflective dots, dust it if the surface is too shiny, and so on. However, the realtime surface generation is quite nice and it is pretty cool to see the digital surface materialize in real-time as you're scanning.

While the NextEngine device is great scanner (especially for the price), there's some big differences between the two technologies. Most notably, the ZScanner is a handheld, continuous scanning device, while the other is a fixed "snapshot" device.

Anyway, just wish the ZScanner/HandyScan could grab textures at the same time. :/

El-d
12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Its very poor really. I've seen it used and wasn't impressed at all. That and the fact that you have to spend hours sticking dots all over the object. A far better scanner (and cheaper) is the fastscan.

http://www.fastscan3d.com/

the tracking is magnetic so can have certain issues but from starting the pc you can just pick up and scan with excellent results.

http://www.fastscan3d.com/casestudies/

El-d

safe05
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately, we do a lot of metal parts and very large scans. So, the reduced range of the Polhemus and magnetic tracking is a problem. For smaller parts, you're right. It's nice not having to prep your part and gives nice results provided you have software like Geomagics or 3Matic to stitch the various scans together (which most do).

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.