PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

Volker
03-22-2002, 10:12 PM
I've got a 1200 AMD at home running XP Prof. and things just aren't right. There has been a lot of lag, and programs are just freezing. When ever I try to install some programs, like Office, I get this error:

Error 1335 Cabinet file office1.cab is corrupt. Could indicate network error, error from CD rom, or problem with package.

I've gotten this "corrupted file" error on sever different apps, and I don't know what to do. I know the CD rom is not bad, & I don't have a network. I tried to reinstall XP by formating and starting from scratch, and I got an error installing that! It said component error: system. What the crap does that mean, system error?! Maybe it's my harddrive freak'n out? It is almost two years old though, seems too new. I think it's a maxtor.

Sometimes I'll click control panel, or some other window, and it'll take 5 minutes for the dang window to come up. Any ideas on what is up with my system? Thanks in advance,
Zach

underdog
03-23-2002, 07:55 AM
maybe you have a bad stick of memory, that would account for slowness, hangup etc.. Maybe your mainboard isn't in good health either.

vizion
03-23-2002, 01:30 PM
if u can, install a copy of win 2k pro- solid and fast for workstations - especially cad/cg.

Volker
03-24-2002, 12:42 AM
Do you really think that the memory could be the culprit? Would memory give install errors? Hmm..I wonder about my motherboard though. It's an ECS K7AMA, 266mhz DDR. I've been pretty happy with it though. Anyone else know of any problems with this particular board? So...the prob. is my MB not my harddrive? Thanks all,

Zach

three
03-24-2002, 04:10 AM
Hey, I'm running an 1.2 MHz AMD Thunderbird with 'bout 300 megs of DDR-ram. I'm really having problems with 3D Studio MAX R4, it gets slow after only a couple of hours, and high-polygonmodels are almost pointless to even try to manage.
I mean, I've read a lot of posts with cool and high-polygon pictures, people've been creating these pictures on a lot slower workstation [read 500 MHz and such] :confused:

I would be greatful for any sort of information on why this is. I had the same problem when I was running win 2k, upgraded my station to Windows XP and I got quite a boost, not as much lag, but still, the computer slows down toooooo fast.

Thanks.

:buttrock:

underdog
03-24-2002, 10:41 AM
babyhopper: you should definately run some diagnostics on the HD to see if theres any bad sectors or such.

three: what video card are you using, maybe its not up to the challenge?

three
03-24-2002, 03:21 PM
underdog: I'm playing around with a GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB DDR.
:eek: :eek:

could this card be the problem?
I'm building up money for the new system I'm gonna buy. Just waiting for microsoft to release some stuff ;)

Take care.

underdog
03-25-2002, 10:39 AM
nah that card should do fine....maybe upgrade/downgrade your drivers and see if it helps...dunno

epatnor
03-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Underdog has a point - a bad stick o' memory can give some really freaky problems! Including installation problems with appz, which you would think has nothing to do with a faulty DDR-SDRAM module. :rolleyes:

So - if you have more than one module in there, get'em out and put them in one by one and in different orders, reboot every time and do some tests.

BTW: Is both sticks of exactly the same type? Check timing etc. (cas)

epatnor
03-25-2002, 05:31 PM
Yo Babyhopper!

BTW: Cool, but strange nick - any meaning to it? ;) :) :rolleyes:

I just answered another thread in this forum section, and it just hit me that you could experience the same problem: too weak power supply unit! The Athlon is HUNGRY for power, and if ur PS does not match up to the AMD:s needs, then you could have all sorts of problems! The thing is, it CAN boot up fine and work fine for a little while, but then the trouble comes afeter have been lurking in the shadows.

If u can - check this by switching to a 350-400w PS and do some tests. :wip:

Because if this is the problem, then it's time for the poor AMD to meet the grim reaper... Muaaahhhhaahahhahaaaa! :eek:

Ehh but I hope not of course. ;)

Volker
03-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Hhmm..do you think that the power supply would cause the install errors at the same place everytime? It seems to be more and more prevelent. I can't install my photoshop now, another corrupt file.

WHY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still thinking that it's the motherboard or HD, but I'm going to check my power just in case.

epatnor: I'm a dancer. The name was given to me when I had just started many years ago. I was taking a lesson from some U.S. champions, and they called me a babyhopper because I was brand new to Lindy Hop, a type of swing. I ended up starting my own little dance company, and kept the name.

Volker
03-26-2002, 10:22 AM
could there be anyother explination for the hangups than the memory? Now it is getting really bad. I tried to get to the properties of my C: drive, and it took several minutes for the window to open so I could check for errors. Unfortunatly it found none. It's really weird, some things it will let me do right away, and some it won't. It is never random though, if it's giving me trouble with the C: drive properties window, it will always do it. I checked my power supply, and found it is only 250W. Could this really effect these type of problems? I appriciate your continued suggestions.

~Zach

Volker
03-28-2002, 04:45 AM
I seem to have solved the problem, my bios was too old.
It just needed a little flash.

Aahhhh......

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.