PDA

View Full Version : render shadows only?

Narem
11-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi guys.

My Object should cast a shadow on my floor in my video scene. Now I have the shadow cast on a additional plane, but I don't want the plane to be seen in my final movie. How can I hide the plane in rendering and only see the shadow?

thx alot for help.

kungfuelmosan
11-25-2006, 02:52 PM
assign a use background shader to the plane - theres a tutorial on this in the maya help docs

Narem
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
yess, duude! Thats exactly what I needed! super sweet.

Hey thx a lot. Now I need to do some fine tuning, hope thats not too difficult. I'll post some news. (or new probs) :)

wabash
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
If you only want the shadow pass you can turn the object (casting shadows) primary visibility off so it casts shadows upon the plane that has the usebackground assigned to it. Set all the attributes of the use background to black (except for the shadow mask, that needs to be set at 1).

You'll be taking the alpha from the render and multiplying it against your back drop in your compositing program.

kungfuelmosan
12-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Another way to render out just the shadow pass is it use the shadow pass render layer preset :) it will outout a plane balck screen - with an alpha - so you need to use a file format that supports alpha chanels dont forget.

Works realy well

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 02:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.