PDA

View Full Version : Grain Elevator WIP

Stream13
11-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Still trying to teach myself to digitally paint. I thought a good way to start would be copying an image and then move onto my own concepts when I'm more comforatable with painting.

Reference Image:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/stream13/Montana-Grain-Elevator-2-2.jpg

My first stage (currently working on the clouds and blocking out land masses etc):

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/stream13/barn-1.jpg

More updates to follow soon...

I know it's early in the process, but any crits at this point would be helpful

Thanks!

Brooke

Runecaster
11-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi Stream! Welcome to CGtalk :)

As far as composition goes, you may want to ditch the telephone pole, it kinda slices the image up in a funky way - but that's just me.

I think it's a great idea to use reference to learn to paint, not enough people do and it shows! lol Of course any one who really knows their art is going to tell you that life drawing is the best primer there is.

But we all have to take the steps in our own way down the path. Good luck to you, and show us some updates! :)

pixyfearie
11-25-2006, 01:32 AM
i think the clouds look wonderful so far and i agree about the telephone and dont worry about using photo references lol i do it to. im just not that good at getting whats in my brain down on the paper yet. it never looks quite right but so far yours looks great. small steps are good.

Stream13
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey Runecaster/Pixyfearie,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I agree with you on the lifedrawing. I took a few classes when I was in school (unfortunatly at the time I didn't take it as seriously...5-6 years later I'm kicking myself). I'm taking a life drawing & landscape painting class in January but I thought I'd get my photoshop skills up to par while I'm waiting for the classes to start.

Thanks again for the encouragement, I'll post my updates as soon as I have some!

Cheers & have a great weekend!

Brooke

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.