PDA

View Full Version : Displacement

Blaine91555
11-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Anyone have a clue how to use a displacement map in VI6? I can get a model open with the texture intact but I cant figure out how to apply the displacement map. It seems to ignore the uv's and I end up with the map spread all over the place. Might be moot right now as displacement seems to cause a crash on render. Is this maybe not implimented in the current release? The displacement materials cause a crash most times as well.

IvanB
11-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi Blaine,

Heres a quick simple video on adding displacement map..hope it helps.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Displacement-Map

Blaine91555
11-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks Ivan - I'm going to look at all your tut's. I need them :sad:

Your work is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Blaine91555
11-25-2006, 09:28 PM
I had that part figured out. It's fairly self explanatory. Having lots of beta type issues though. So many bugs, so little time:) This may be a feature that is not fully implimented yet.

What I'm trying to do is import models and apply displacement map created in ZBrush. When I load a model the texture map applies itself as it should but I can not come up with a way to get the displacement map to work. It should work without a problem as it uses the same uv layout as the texture but I'm missing something. I'll have to try remapping in another program and try again.

IvanB
11-25-2006, 11:40 PM
If you like...upload a basic object with your textures and displacement, and i'll give it a go.

Blaine91555
11-26-2006, 06:34 AM
It was the map. I've figured it out. The easiest is to export from Poser. VI6 won't handle it at this time though. The old VI5 OOM problem is alive and well in 6. I get OOM's with lots of Ram and Page File available and my graphics card is on their list etc.. It even happens in wireframe mode.

I did come up with one tip I can share. VI6, just like VI5 will import large poly counts only if they are tri's. Vue hates quads. On import never check the resize when importing large poly models. It will barely open 500,000 polys if they are quads but will import 1.6 million polys if they are tri's. Checking the resize option gives an OOM even on relatively small poly counts. When I get the OOM's there is always .25 to .5 gigs of Ram available and unused. I'm hoping Vue will approach the poly counts of most other software when it comes out of beta and then I won't need displacement. I only do still's and I use Vue for the great environments.

I'll wait until this is out of beta before I mess with displacement again. By then I'll be on 64 bit and have 8 gigs of Ram. I'd like to go higher with Xeon's and a stack but I'd have to sell my house and my wife might object:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your help :thumbsup:

iloco
11-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Big Thanks for the tutorial Ivan but I keep getting an error that the available bandwidth has been exceeded.
I waited 12 hours to try again and still get the message.
I will try again later today. :)

I cleared all my cache and then was able to get the file.
Thanks again for a very easy to understand tutorial. :)

IvanB
11-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey iloco,

Your welcome.

The new site for my videos should be up VERY soon, thanks to Bobozobo "Cedric Morrison" ( a frequenter of this forum) He has kindly offered to host my videos in quicktime format (better quality and smaller file size). There shouldnt be any issues with bandwith and regestering etc...simply click and download.

I'll post the link in a new thread as soon as its all done.

Ivan.

BoBoZoBo
11-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Yep, the site should be up quite soon, within the week!!!

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2006, 10:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.