PDA

View Full Version : Creating Bullet Impacts in Maya

PantherX
11-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm trying to find out how to create realistic bullet impacts in Maya using dynamics. The bullet impacts must be in concrete or brick walls and displace dust and debris the same as they would in real life.

I've looked high and low for tutorials for this but all I can find are cheesey tutorials for 3D Studio Max.

Can anyone help me please?

essencedesign
11-24-2006, 10:09 PM
If you can spend a bit of $ , look at Blastcode, ......nothing can top it for destruction :)

olcho
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
The best thing I can think of is to look for references for what you want to achieve. Or if you have a really good idea about it, then just start breaking the shot into all the elements. It's not that hard in terms of "how to make it". There simply are few things that happen simultaneously: (I'm just taking a wild guess here)
1. A fast moving bullet (or perfaps you want it in slow motion)
2. A bullet trail (may be). Usually good for slow motion shots, but works well in other cases too.
3. What happenes when the bullet hits the wall? Does it make a hole? Does it jump back. It ceartainly should leave some mark on the wall. Do you want to crack the wall? You can use textures to give it that look. Or perhaps you can use some simple dynamics and make some small pieces of the wall break and fall.
4. Dust! Always helps and adds a lot to the shot. There are few ways to make dust:
* Use Particles with Cloud shader for more diffused dust. You could add another particle system, render it in Hardware and comp it later to make some bigger and harder pieces of dust.
* You could use Fluids to achieve some pretty nice results
* May be you could use particles with Fluids as a shader. It could look really good in some cases but in that case I'm not so sure. It's pretty heavy to render, too.
* Sparks?

I guess you can think of few more things to add to the shot, but I hope you get the idea.

PantherX
11-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info. However I need more detailed information on how to achieve some of these ideas so I can start experimenting, something a little more step by step to give me something to work from.

This would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

olcho
11-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Then perhaps you might want to tell in a little more detail what you do want to do...

PantherX
11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I want to show a bullet hitting a concrete wall and splattering dust and debris off the wall - perferably dynamically all in close up so we can see quite nice detail. I also ultimately want to show the bullet deforming on impact.

FloydBishop
11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
With Maya alone, I would suggest a blendshape on the wall to create the hole. A blendshape for the bullet deforming would work as well.

For the dust and debris, I would make two emitters: One that emits dust, and one that emits rock bits.

Be sure to vary the size of the rock bits by randomizing the size of the particles.

Also, be sure to put some drag on the dust cloud particles so that they shoot out from the point of impact, but then slow down and linger like real dust clouds do.

PantherX
11-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks, FloydBishop however the method you've mentioned doesn't rely dynamics, it relies too much on conventional animation techniques. I want the rigid body object (bullet) to hit the wall (soft body perhaps ?) and blow chunks out of it (pre shattered sections of wall perhaps) and cause dust and debris to come away. I just need like a step by step set of instructions to get me started.

STEVE33304
11-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,

take a look at the basket ball tutorial, then changethe "wall" also be be a softbody, but make sure you tellelate it quite a lot, and if you dont want the bellet to deform, dont make the shpere show a softbody,

Next likn the collision to a runtime expression on the particles, that will give you the dust.

Now here is the "different bit", I'll explain some simple principles first.

Here goes...
How long do you have to "stop" at a stop street? Thhink about it as if you were a camera. If your shutter speed was 1 second then a long time right? But what if your shutter speed was 1/1000th of a second, when you could probably blow thru it at 15 mph, and the image would be still. Eg your not moving.

I dont suggest trying this basic strategy at a court of law ;-) But it is the was you integrate an area from first princlples. And we going to use it. ;-)

So what if you set your frme rate to 1000 in maya, now that means your have 1000 frames to render, to get 1 second of animation, which is not what we want, but if you have 25fps (ie PAL, thanks PAL for making the division easier) and you set maya to render every 1000/25 th frame, then you get your nowmal frame rate. Clear?

Now you have all those lovely "inbetween frames" that maya has calcaluated for you. This is where you can move the camera around, and you can have it effectively move in slo-mo, jump cut, or smooth (like the matrix).

All you have to do is decide what value you want to set for the renderer (eg every nth frame)

Now combine these two, and you'll be able to have the bullet travel at real-time, slow up, while the camera spins around it, then "position itself" for the beauty shot as it hits the wall.

I hope you get the idea, really it cam to me when using a "real" camera, and thinging about what the effect of 1/10,000th of does when you stake a picture of a humming bird. Nowmally you cant see its wings. But a smaller increment of time, eg 1/10,000, at that amount of time, effectively the wings are barly moving.

for the mathematically inclined is when you take a section of area to integrte(which represents distance traveled) and you set the interval to be dy/dy -> 0.

Cheers
Steve
Letterbox

Ozoka
11-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Blastcode try it out.

essencedesign
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
The only thing I can think wrong of using the 30 day trial of Blastcode here is that once you do you'll NEVER want to do it any other way again....it's really that good. Give it a try.
www.Blastcode.com (http://www.blastcode.com)

PantherX
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Using the Blastcode plugin doesn't really mean that I've created the dynamic effect MYSELF, effectively I'm cheating using the plugin.

Does anyone know how to create this effect? I want to show a bullet (with trails) impacting into a wall and showing smoke and debris everywhere. Anyone have a tutorial or instructions on how to get started?

essencedesign
11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
You asked for help, I gave you a possible solution, ...it's not "cheating" to use the tools available to you, it's called efficiency. Blastcode is used as the main destruction solution for Weta, MPC and a host of other houses (ours included) for good reason ....good luck though. :)

thomwickes
12-01-2006, 01:51 AM
to say that blastcode is cheating is just ridiculous.

its like saying maya is cheating when you could be coding the entire thing in binary - blastcode's specifically made for this kind of effect.

apoc519
12-01-2006, 01:53 AM
I was gonna write out how to do this but I just decided to make it instead. Hopefully you can figure it out on your own.

HERE (http://www.pauljewell.com/cgtalk/bulletHit.mb)

It's a fairly simplistic example and doesn't offer a lot of control but it works.

thomwickes
12-01-2006, 02:26 AM
ahhh that's great - cheers paul.

I can't wait to pull it apart when i get the chance - think i can learn a lot from it.

Cheers

GallenWolf
12-01-2006, 02:40 AM
http://www.wonderslime.com/ <- Impact System sounds exactly like what you need.

I did a crappy clone @ http://www.alvinvfx.com/gunfireScript/gunfireSimulation.zip

Now that I'm learning Maya, I'd probably go with particle hit detection to generate a displacement map. That's probably the way to go since you want objects to hit another object? My method above uses a ray to intersect all objects in the path, then choosing the closes hit point for my area of impact.

GW

PantherX
12-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks Apoc159 - finally a solution I can start from.

As for Blastcode - I agree it's amazing etc, etc, however not everyone whos an individual can afford the massive price tag, neither do any of the torrent downloads work either. As regards my proposed cheating angle, when learning if you don't learn how to do something yourself and rely only on plugins and tools they become a crutch, after all not everyone will have plugins.

Animatio
12-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Apoc159 - finally a solution I can start from.

As for Blastcode - I agree it's amazing etc, etc, however not everyone whos an individual can afford the massive price tag, neither do any of the torrent downloads work either. As regards my proposed cheating angle, when learning if you don't learn how to do something yourself and rely only on plugins and tools they become a crutch, after all not everyone will have plugins.

mod edit
please refrain from negative personal comments in the future
mod edit

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2006, 01:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.