PDA

View Full Version : Spooked Walk Critique Request

Kimotion
11-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Hello,

I've been working on this "spooked walk" and I think it's time for some critiques!

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice as always!

Spooked Walk (http://www.jeff-kim.com/spooked_06.mov)

Sky
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm really surprised this hasn't gotten any comments. Of course, I don't have any helpful critique at all. It looks great. Maybe thats why no one else has commented, because they don't have any suggestions either. Anyways, good work!

And I enjoyed the short film on your blog. It was very funny.

DanGarnett
11-29-2006, 02:29 AM
It's a really good start! You can definitely tell what's going on.

I do have a few suggestions if you don't mind..

When the light flashes around frame 60, I think it would work a lot better if you really pushed that part, maybe physically jump him off the ground and plant the feet pretty hard as he's making the turn. And I think his hips need to turn more to where he is looking. We rarely turn our heads when something scary happens, the whole body usually turns around, or just the head really quick if we are sitting or something. When we get scared we tend to be really tense and our actions dart around, kinda like how the eye works. So maybe when he jumps, as he's looking over, he would look around in a couple directions around that area and really dart his head around.

I like when he starts to walk away, but I'm not sure how I feel about the tippie toe at end. It kinda seems like he would be more like that before something spooked him, because he is in a spooky dark graveyard. I think we seem to take slower wider strides, with our hands up and around, when we are somewhere spooky and mysterious. Maybe after we are spooked at something, we might tend to speed up our walk with larger steps, i'm not sure about the smaller tippie toe steps. Although I could tell what's going on, but it's just my take on it, but by no means what should be done Haha :)

I hope some of it helped, I love to critique animations. It's easier to invision in my head, but harder to explain.
Good work by the way!

~Danny

Kimotion
12-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Hello again!

So I made some changes to this piece: Spooked (http://jeff-kim.com/spooked_09.mov)

1.) No more lighting flash thingy. A lot of people were seeing it a lighting flash when I intended to be a spooky eerie ghost light effect. Well I got rid of the light and will have some sort of subtle shadow zipping by.

2.) The take. A lot of people were saying "amp it up." I made the pose much bigger but something just wasn't working. And I think people were thinking that he is supposed to be scared out of his wits, when the original intention was to have him startled/spooked. So I actually tried toning down his pose but making it much quicker and TRIED to make it snappier. I think it works much better, but if you disagree, pleeeeaase let me know!

3.) I tried to make the quicker pacing out of the take more gradual. Some comments on how it looks now would be super.

4.) At the end, there is no more arms crossing. Most were telling me that he looks cold and shivering, not spooked. So I just changed it to a generic T-Rex cartoon kind of pose, like the arm poses just before that.

I will probably do one or two more passes on this before I consider it "finished." I will probably take a look at it again in a month and say "iew I need to now change this that....this and that...."

Thanks for ANY comments!

Spooked (http://jeff-kim.com/spooked_09.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2006, 08:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.