PDA

View Full Version : mapping a texture to .3ds files?

JasonAlacrity
11-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, got a bit of a newbie question for you but Iím really at my wits end now.

When I import .3ds models into Maya they come in with no UV information, so when I try to map a file texture to them they go transparent. Iíve tried mapping the textures using projection and have played around with all the UV options but am at a loss. I even tried opening up the model in Max where it originated and Max said that there was no UV info as well. Anyone have any ideas how I can get a texture to map onto the model in Maya?

acidream
11-24-2006, 11:46 PM
You need to apply some sort of UV mapping to your object in order to create a usable UV set. Try poking around the Create UV's menu in Maya 8, and in Maya 7 I think it was in Edit Polygons -> UV's or something like that.

JasonAlacrity
11-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Ok cool, thanks. I was able to create a new UV Set based on the Camera, but I still cant get any images to map to the color property, it all still goes transparent. So Im guessing that UV's arent the whole of my problem?

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2006, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.