PDA

View Full Version : Fairburn System of Visual References

MoorDragon
11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
One of the Holy Grails of artistic visual references, I have a first edition of Set #2 which features faces and heads in a huge variety of poses, expressions, ethnic types and ages for both male and female...at least 9000 photos total. I got them from an old art studio. It's a 3 volume set...coffee table size books. I have the other two sets and rarely use this particular set. Anyone interested in buying it? I have the books listed on eBay right now with a starting bid at $800. I understand that the company no longer prints them so they're now considered rare collectables. I'm selling this set because, frankly, I could use the money to buy some software.

Rebeccak
11-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi there,

I've never heard of this, it sounds pretty cool.

While I'm not interested in purchasing this, I ran a Google search for "Fairburn System of Visual References" which returned a result of another Bob looking to buy a set.

There is also the website for the apparently soon to be out of print reference sets here:

http://www.fairburnsystem.com/

I guess I don't understand why you're selling these at such a high price when some sets are still available for considerably less?

MoorDragon
11-24-2006, 08:56 PM
The Fairburn System of books have been around for quite some time. I first saw them in 1979.

The price I posted for the one set is based on the fact that I have a first edition from 1976 and because of who used to own them and so while they probably aren't worth the price to someone who just sees them as nice antiquated reference books, to collectors, they are worth considerably more. I'm both an artist and a collector.

Rebeccak
11-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Ah, that's cool, I'm curious who used to own them? :)

MoorDragon
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I got them from a high profile and well known federal agency that dumped all their traditional art supplies and equipment when they went totally digital years ago. I managed to snag a few choice items including the full 6 volume set of the Fairburn books. I don't use the faces and heads set very often.

redehlert
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
double post....
sorry.

redehlert
04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
My office has the Fairburn Male and Female series, sets 1 and 2 (female and male).
I'm about to purchase the Children series due to project needs. Does anyone else have this set? I'm getting it from the Fairburn web site.

Cheers,
Dave

redehlert
04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
An update - just wanted to let you know that the Children set is very helpful - just got it. It's saving me big time.

And, the Fairburn Faces and Heads set can be purchased in mint condition for $189.50 (including shipping). http://www.fairburnsystem.com/

Cheers,
Dave

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.