PDA

View Full Version : KEEP OUT of the forest....

Blackarts
03-22-2002, 09:34 PM
hey everyone

I posted this model up a while ago, and here's the finished product. Had a couple big problems as I was texturing him, mainly concerning the fur (yes the fur is done in post). Seems that my method of multiple UV sets and shaders dont translate to fur that well, and it just became this big nightmare. I hate CG somtimes, I really do. I wasted 2 days trying to fix it, but in the end the results just plain sucked. Damn you Maya fur, damn you. I guess it was my own fault for using a wacky UV scheme, ah well. Anyways, for the rest of it - Deep Paint for the body textures, photoslop for the BG texture, then additional levels/hue shifts in photoslop.

Mud, slings, and arrows welcome!

cheers,

-Daryl

cerreto
03-22-2002, 09:40 PM
very cool has that illustration work you were going for i think the only crit i have is the perspective on the charcter looks a lil off could be my eye though reminds me of a big foot type character !

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 12:09 AM
*Bump*

70 views and only 1 reply? Guess I should've modeled a car.

=)

ambassador
03-23-2002, 12:18 AM
great character, but i agree about the perspective and composition.

Fur looks good, theres nothing wrong with it not being "3d", as long as it blends with the image well

Nelis
03-23-2002, 12:18 AM
hi blackarts,

it's very good, and i think most people do not take the afford to post reply something. but your work should not be disrespected.

very good

niels sinke

Joel Hooks
03-23-2002, 12:19 AM
you should model audi TT and use GI to render. that is the sweet goodness we crave. Or maybe just a Cone/Sphere/Torus scene but with GI!!1!

heh

I love your illustrations. I had the one that that vid card company jacked as my desktop for a looong time a year or two ago. it's a shame you got your work stolen and now all we get is puny pics :(

Your entire online portfolio is out of sight!

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 12:24 AM
GI = chrome ball for the new millenium.

Hey ambassador, can you be more specific? what dont you like about the perpective? I kind of dig it, but I admit its not perfect. How would you improve it? To you think its too extreme? or not extreme enough?

JacquesD
03-23-2002, 12:58 AM
Cool, I like it.

kyphur
03-23-2002, 01:04 AM
I think ambassador means the perspective of the ground plane and trees is off from the perspective of the character. You have the character at around a 70 to 80 degree angle from the frame plate whereas we can see the ground. At the angle you have the char we shouldn't see the ground plane at all. I think we should be seeing treetops and moon or sky scene at that angle.

Anyways, that's my opinion. I think the composition of the piece and mood strike really well.

Kyph

Joel Hooks
03-23-2002, 01:09 AM
I thought it had a cool fisheye/vertigo effect myself.

It's probably not true to life, but it definitely works I think.

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 01:29 AM
Good feedback re: the perspective. I was just eyeballing it and jsut tried to get the right feel to it, and create a bit of atmosphere. ITs ALways good to get fresh eyes to look at something.

QDD
03-23-2002, 02:03 AM
Great work, I have been waiting to see this guy textured. And after looking at it for a while, I don't really have any crits. I would like to see another view of him though. Maybe a better shot of his head. I really liked that from the original model. Anyways keep it up!

-Dave

kyphur
03-23-2002, 02:06 AM
Responding from my post and your reply above, here's some other ideas you can try.

In the modeler, try putting down a plane for him to stand on with a cylinder in the background to simulate a tree. That way you'll get the perspective you want. If you're going to do postproduction in photoshop with the background you can always paint over the cylinder.

If you really want to spice it up bump the camera up to 16mm or less and it'll definantly give you that "fisheye" look. Then add some Depth of Field settings to make his form hazy then pop a gaussian blur in photoshop on the background layer. That should give it an eerie sensation.

It's already pretty swift though. *nods* :buttrock:

Kyph

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 02:10 AM
Good tip kyphur. One of my bad habits is that I just like to 'wing it' when it comes to BG's. STart slapping down color and texture, and see what grows out of it. Maybe a bit more thoughtful approach will give better results.

cheers,

-D.

kyphur
03-23-2002, 02:13 AM
I do it all the time when I'm bored, it's something that I think we all do every now and again. I think some of the best work comes out when you do that sometimes.

Kyph

kyphur
03-23-2002, 02:14 AM
What are you using to model in and what technique (poly, subD, NURB...)?

Kyph

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 02:19 AM
this one was built in maya, using polys. Eecept for the teeth, and eyeballs which are nurbs (though you cant really see them anwyays). I built it out a lowly cube. =) For the textures I split it into 6 different regions, and mapped each seperatly with its own uv's and shaders. Then I exported the whole lot to deep paint and textured it up.

parallax
03-23-2002, 02:42 AM
very nice mood.
looks like a bad dream, it has a very eerie feel to it.
if there's one thing i would have to crit, it would be that i think the character is bit dominant, or at least his body is, i would focus more on the face.
but then again, i would be more than happy with what you have now. :)
keep it up.

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Yeah, everyone really like his head. I had his head tilted forward in an earlier version, but then I changed it because I thought the pose would be stronger, and more beast like (like he's howling or something). I also wasnt super happy with the way his nose turned out, so this was a way to hide it a bit. ;)

Its good that you get an eerie feeling from it, thats what I was shooting for. I was tossing around the idea of adding a lot of blood to the pic, but felt that it would be more creepy without it. Let people imagine what this thing might do, rather than actually show it.

so_hi
03-23-2002, 04:50 AM
First off Nice work. :applause:

Question: How much of the final image is photoshop?

I was also wondering if you could post the render before you painted it?

If it's to much like giving away your secrets, no big deal, I would just like to see where you start from.

http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Iain McFadzen
03-23-2002, 04:54 AM
The shoulder/ armpit area doesn't seem as well modelled as the rest of the body, though it doesn't detract too much from what is a fantastic model, and beautiful presented too.

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks so-hi!

If you read my first post it sums up what I did.

I've been refining this technique for a while now with my pics:

The geo is modelled in polys
U'Vs layed out nice and clean or as clean as I can get them
Exported to Deep Paint, and paint the textures
then pose the model and light him about 6 or seven different ways (I'll post one of these up soon for you jsut as an example)

The fur is photoshop because maya fur is a disaster.
The bg is all photoshop, because I like to paint my backgrounds, and I want to achieve a 'digital painting' look
Then I played with levels /hue variance etc etc for a while till I'm happy.

Iain: ya, thats a by-product of wieghting and posing. Didnt turn out as good as I had hoped. Ah well, live and learn

so_hi
03-23-2002, 05:51 AM
So to clarify the guy as is, is basically the render with some hue shifts. The painterly look on the model is completly achieved through deepaint textures.

Not to discount the coolness of the model now, but, I personally liked him with the beak, in your way earlyer posts. But now with the hairy wolf man kind of look, I'm sure it would look out of place. Ethier way Great work.

http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 06:07 AM
yup, thats basically it. No real big secrets in how i do things, its basically just a lot of convulted steps, and taking peices that I like from a bunch of different renders, and making massive files in photoshop for the BG's to get everyhting blending right.

The beak was kinda cool, i agree. But as i was modelling it, it just kind of dissapeared. Wierd how that happens.

cheers,
-D.

Gilgamesh
03-23-2002, 08:16 AM
Well it turned out great. You seem to have a good eye for composition and mood. Not only with this, but with all your art. I really love the painted backgrounds, I think that they really compliment your renderings, and vice versa. Anyway, it is just nice to see not only a fine work of 3D, but also a really effective image. I think that concept is often lost in all of the myriad of chrome balls and audis. Great job.

JacobB
03-23-2002, 11:19 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: nice job! It'd be cool if it had blood splattered all over it's face, hands, chest etc. But that's just my op

BAROBA
03-23-2002, 03:32 PM
Very nice :)
Nice texturing :)
Very moody
love it :)

parallax
03-23-2002, 06:15 PM
blackarts >> no blood, please, :eek: leave it as is.
suggestion is a very powerfull thing. :D

dobermunk
03-23-2002, 06:32 PM
As a fan of non-photorealistic stuff, I have to say: love it!

The fur via post has a unique painterly feel to it. I'd be interested in seeing how the elements might be animated. i.e. your beautiful background might seem to static once the figure is animated. Any plans? Or does this end as a still?

Blackarts
03-23-2002, 11:02 PM
I don't have any plans to animate this creature. =) For me the goal with this model (and most of my personal work) was just to create a striking image. I consider myslef a modeller and texture artsist, and thats where my strengths are, so I just kind of stick to that and try to push those skills. I just do these pics for fun and practice!

Jacob/Parallax: My earlier post on the blood pretty much sums it up. Interesting how some people are more bloodthirsty than others. =)

cheers,

-Daryl

Raul-Reznek
03-24-2002, 04:16 AM
WOOOOHOOOOO

man!!! that's really cool.

At first I thought it was 2D.
REALLY good stuff.

Jhonus
03-24-2002, 05:09 AM
whats the focal length on your camera?

if he was howling he would probably have his hands clenched??

is this the bird-man character you posted a while ago? i really liked the half-beak on that character.

Blackarts
03-24-2002, 05:26 AM
Reznek: Thanks - thats is highest compliment you could have paid me. I want to be able to get an image to the point where people stop saying 'hey cool render', and start saying 'thats a damn fine image'.

Krugar: The focal length was set at 25. I tried a few different lengths, but settled on this one. The hands clenched is a good idea, but I wanted to show off his big pointy fingers. Good point though. Its the same model, I think his 'beak' is almost the same, but from that angle it just looks a little different.

cheers,
-d.

Blackarts
03-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Virtuso,

It's always good to hear that your art affects people in one way or the other. If it has an impact - even a little one, then you've accomplished something (or at least I think so).

I would love to check out this set you've been building. A year on one set?!? Holy crap. I thought I was a workaholic. =)

Stumbler....I got a soft spot for that big one-armed bastard. If I found a cool big arm like that on the ground, I'd probably lop mine off and attach it too myslef too. In a way I'm jealous.

Cheers,
-Daryl

Raul-Reznek
03-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Yup!

Visited ya site a time back and I was DEEPLY impressed with the atrwork.

I'm still at the stage of "that's .... fine Reznek" kinda posts but hey!!! ONE day I'll be there where people appreciate my work.

It's really sh!tty to see how what u think is your best work YET is unappreciated and left unnoticed.

I'm comin up in 3d right now.It's been 1 year sine I started.

FABULOUS stuff B.
Keep on rollin!

P. Raimbault
03-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Wow I really like your style Blackarts:) I love when 3d renders become paintings!
Congratulations for all your characters (I love Brom too :)
Thanks for your posts on my threads

Pascal Raimbault

Blackarts
03-24-2002, 10:03 PM
thankss Pascal,

your beasty model kicks major ass, I am totally impressed by it!

Reznek: Everyone starts somewhere - I remember making Popcans in Lightwave and thinkinh they were the coolest thing EVER.

-D.

hiko_
04-04-2002, 08:11 AM
i love your work ! just amazing ... :)

echo
04-04-2002, 09:57 AM
That's pretty cool!
You definately reached your goal about making nice art and not just nice renders...that's for sure.
About your last image, something bugs me about the blending of the character with the background...could be that the perspective is not the same on the character and the background or it could simply be that I'm not sure if the lighting of your character matches the background
It's pretty good overall...as usual ;)

echo
04-04-2002, 10:01 AM
yup, definately is the lighting...it's awesome..but just not perfect and you are at a level where we only try to notice wat is not perfect...cause we all know this image rocks !

Naz
04-04-2002, 04:43 PM
I really like the style of your pictures but for this one something does not look right. Kyphur mentioned the perspective of the character/background and he is not far off as at times the character looks almost like on a second layer to me (sorry, maybe it is just me =)
don't get me wrong, it's a fine piece of art and am always looking forward to your work.

bye, Naz

chrislomaka
04-05-2002, 08:22 PM
excellent work man! great work creating a mood and everything. your textures are outstanding.

the only thing i'd like to see (partly cause i want to do it too, but i haven't found an adequate way... yet) is to create a painterly feel to the edges of the 3d geometry. they're all very crisp, clean lines... paint fuzzes, smudges, etc...

awesome work :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.